Help identifying soundboxes and obtaining new parts

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
oldstuff
Victor Jr

Help identifying soundboxes and obtaining new parts

Post by oldstuff »

I have these three. From left to right

1. Has the name "Goldring" on the front. Looks to be the best made of the three, and is also the heaviest.

2. Found on a no name portable (although the motor was Garrard) but has "Made in England" on the back like the Goldring, it's just hard to see in the photo.

3. Found on a 'crap-o-phone'

No.s 1 and 2 need new diaphragms (they are all aluminium diaphragms) and rubbers. I have had them apart and massaged the diaphragm into a workable shape, but they are really bad. No. 3 is working well at the moment, but maybe needs new rubbers.

I would like to be able to source the diaphragms and rubbers, but am also very open to DIY ways to replace them.

I am also curious as to whether 2 and 3 are identifiable, and as to the quality of the Goldring. Should it be the one I spend more money on to fix up, or is it just a cheapie despite the name.
Attachments
sound boxes rear.jpg
sound boxes front.jpg

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Re: Help identifying soundboxes and obtaining new parts

Post by epigramophone »

http://www.goldring.co.uk/

Goldring, established in 1906, was and still is a highly respected name in sound reproduction. By all means tinker with the two un-named soundboxes, but the Goldring is the most deserving of your attention and should give the best performance once overhauled.

oldstuff
Victor Jr

Post by oldstuff »

epigramophone wrote:http://www.goldring.co.uk/

Goldring, established in 1906, was and still is a highly respected name in sound reproduction. By all means tinker with the two un-named soundboxes, but the Goldring is the most deserving of your attention and should give the best performance once overhauled.

Thanks, I suspected it must be the same company that is still around today.

So, while I might be able to make new rubber gaskets, the diaphragm seems a bit daunting. Or is it? Are there sources for the diaphragms, and rubber bits?

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

What's wrong with the diaphragm? If it's damaged, you might be able to use one from the other two as a replacement, since they appear to be aluminum. As far as the diaphragm gaskets, it is easy to obtain in lengths and just cut to fit. The rubber isolators on the back of the reproducer are available depending on what machine you intend to use it on, as they are usually specific to particular machine tonearms... if they aren't cracked or broken, they might still be useable...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

oldstuff
Victor Jr

Post by oldstuff »

Curt A wrote:What's wrong with the diaphragm? If it's damaged, you might be able to use one from the other two as a replacement, since they appear to be aluminum. As far as the diaphragm gaskets, it is easy to obtain in lengths and just cut to fit. The rubber isolators on the back of the reproducer are available depending on what machine you intend to use it on, as they are usually specific to particular machine tonearms... if they aren't cracked or broken, they might still be useable...

The diaphragms on the first 2 had been squashed, one of them nearly flat. I don't know, maybe someone attempted a bad repair - they came on nearly wrecked portables. One of them had a bigger hole torn out by the little screw that attaches the arm to it. I have tried reforming them to something like the original shape, and using glue to reattach the enlarged hole. I haven't replaced the gasket rubber, but put them back together and they still sound a bit rattly and distorted.

Where do I buy rubber that will work for gaskets? I think I read somewhere about rubber tubing or something?

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

I have one nearly identical to #2, the front is stamped Goldring / British Made, it uses no isolator on the back.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

oldstuff wrote:
Curt A wrote:What's wrong with the diaphragm? If it's damaged, you might be able to use one from the other two as a replacement, since they appear to be aluminum. As far as the diaphragm gaskets, it is easy to obtain in lengths and just cut to fit. The rubber isolators on the back of the reproducer are available depending on what machine you intend to use it on, as they are usually specific to particular machine tonearms... if they aren't cracked or broken, they might still be useable...

The diaphragms on the first 2 had been squashed, one of them nearly flat. I don't know, maybe someone attempted a bad repair - they came on nearly wrecked portables. One of them had a bigger hole torn out by the little screw that attaches the arm to it. I have tried reforming them to something like the original shape, and using glue to reattach the enlarged hole. I haven't replaced the gasket rubber, but put them back together and they still sound a bit rattly and distorted.

Where do I buy rubber that will work for gaskets? I think I read somewhere about rubber tubing or something?
Soft gasket rubber, new old stock aluminium diaphragms and many other parts are available from www.zwarteschijf.com.
I have dealt with this seller, who is based in the Netherlands, for years. He also sells on UK eBay.

oldstuff
Victor Jr

Post by oldstuff »

epigramophone wrote:
Soft gasket rubber, new old stock aluminium diaphragms and many other parts are available from http://www.zwarteschijf.com.
I have dealt with this seller, who is based in the Netherlands, for years. He also sells on UK eBay.

Thanks so much for the link.

oldstuff
Victor Jr

Post by oldstuff »

estott wrote:I have one nearly identical to #2, the front is stamped Goldring / British Made, it uses no isolator on the back.

That could be. A while ago I purchased 2 very similar portables, both fairly wrecked. One of them still had the name Goldring on it, the other one had the first soundbox from the picture with the name Goldring on it. It is looking like the 2 similar portables, although there were a few differences, might well have both been Goldring brand. Given that it is easy to swap soundboxes I was never sure if the first portable had an original soundbox or not. As you say it looks like a Goldring you have, then I expect it is.

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

oldstuff wrote:
estott wrote:I have one nearly identical to #2, the front is stamped Goldring / British Made, it uses no isolator on the back.

That could be. A while ago I purchased 2 very similar portables, both fairly wrecked. One of them still had the name Goldring on it, the other one had the first soundbox from the picture with the name Goldring on it. It is looking like the 2 similar portables, although there were a few differences, might well have both been Goldring brand. Given that it is easy to swap soundboxes I was never sure if the first portable had an original soundbox or not. As you say it looks like a Goldring you have, then I expect it is.
Mine uses red rubber gaskets, square cut- they look a bit like canning jar rubbers. They're still in good shape. The soundbox buzzed a bit & the needle bar was out of vertical line, but after pushing it a little to dent the center of the diaphragm a little it works. I keep it as a spare.