Need Victor Orthophonic Tone Arm Support Price Help

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Uncle Vanya
Victor IV

Re: Need Victor Orthophonic Tone Arm Support Price Help

Post by Uncle Vanya »

I suspect that your overhang support can be repaired.

Use a thin 2-part epoxy (such as wood consolidant), apply it with a brush, making certain to work it well into the cracks on the pot-metal.

If you have no thin epoxy available, the common (slow curing, not the "5-Minute variety) 2-part product may be used. Wear disposable gloves and using a wood or plastic paddle work the epoxy misture into the cracks in the pot-metal. Smooth out as well as reasonably possible and allow to fully cure (overnight) The next day, replace any missing bits with epoxy filler, allow to cure, drill and tap as necessary, and then sand the surface smooth, and repaint.

This work can usually be done with the unit assembled, in fact it is better not to try to pull the bracket from the base, as this can risk further damage.

With reasonable care one can do quite a presentable job, which will have every chance of lasting many years.

beaumonde
Victor III

Post by beaumonde »

It's a shame that the Smiths are retiring, and are sold out on their repro back brackets (which were nicely priced at $65). I have one on my VE 8-30X TLP (but bought it 5 or 6 years ago).

Wonderful Windups
Adam

phonojim
Victor IV

Post by phonojim »

Try Ron Sitko, phone 518-371-8549. A few years ago he was selling excellent brass ones. I think I paid about $75.00 at the time.

Jim

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

Uncle Vanya wrote:I suspect that your overhang support can be repaired.

Use a thin 2-part epoxy (such as wood consolidant), apply it with a brush, making certain to work it well into the cracks on the pot-metal.
It looks as if this was previously done to the bracket and is failing- can it be reapplied over the old coat?

tarheeltinkerer
Victor I

Post by tarheeltinkerer »

I will call Ron. I've been quoted at $125 to replace the bracket and clean the tone arm, etc. Not the best price, but better than anything else I have seen.

This pot metal, I am sorry, is a lost cause. It is buckling at the base where it mounts to the steel plate, the surface is cracked all over the black paint, and all it will do is continue to fail. Putting a band-aid on it will be only a temporary solution. Granted, the seller lowered the price because of the cost of replacing the tone arm support.