Need Victor Orthophonic Tone Arm Support Price Help

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
tarheeltinkerer
Victor I

Need Victor Orthophonic Tone Arm Support Price Help

Post by tarheeltinkerer »

I looked at a Victor VV 4-7 this morning. The cabinet is in excellent condition, the unit overall is very clean. Two big issues, however, are that the reproducer is potmetal (one tiny tiny crack in rear...nothing too serious), but worst is that the tone arm support appear to be made out of bakelite and is crumbling beyond repair.

We agreed on a price for $170 for the unit, but after browsing some of the replacement tone arm support prices, I am thinking I will back out because damn, that is an expensive part!

Can anyone provide advice on the best place/price to obtain one of these brackets?

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Re: Need Victor Orthophonic Tone Arm Support Price Help

Post by estott »

Check Ebay for arms and brackets- they appear pretty often, just check the measurements carefully.

tarheeltinkerer
Victor I

estott wrote:Check Ebay for arms and brackets- they appear pretty often, just check the measurements carefully.
The tone arm appears to be okay for this machine...it's the bracket I really need, and I'll be damned if the replacement costs are not insane.

brianu
Victor V
Personal Text: on instagram as "oncedeadsound"

Post by brianu »

if you're talking about the tonearm support bracket, and specifically the overhanging support with the pin that holds the tonearm in place, those aren't bakelite, they're typically pot metal and subject to the same possible breakdown as the reproducers of the same material. it's not uncommon to find that overhanging support cracked, broken or damaged. you could try to find an original, which would probably mean picking up the entire assembly, including arm, on ebay or somewhere. otherwise, there are reproductions floating around (of the overhanging part of the support bracket - which basically slips into the round/circular base of the support) that are made of aluminum. when I've seen them, or purchased them, they were usually in the $75 range.

so if you can find one of those, and the rest of the machine is good and has no issues, then that price doesn't seem too bad if you're looking for a nice orthophonic player for yourself.

tarheeltinkerer
Victor I

brianu wrote:if you're talking about the tonearm support bracket, and specifically the overhanging support with the pin that holds the tonearm in place, those aren't bakelite, they're typically pot metal and subject to the same possible breakdown as the reproducers of the same material. it's not uncommon to find that overhanging support cracked, broken or damaged. you could try to find an original, which would probably mean picking up the entire assembly, including arm, on ebay or somewhere. otherwise, there are reproductions floating around (of the overhanging part of the support bracket - which basically slips into the round/circular base of the support) that are made of aluminum. when I've seen them, or purchased them, they were usually in the $75 range.

so if you can find one of those, and the rest of the machine is good and has no issues, then that price doesn't seem too bad if you're looking for a nice orthophonic player for yourself.
If this tone arm bracket is indeed potmetal, than it is decaying in and odd fashion.

The only replacement tone arm supports I have found are pricey items:

http://www.antiquephono.com/victor.htm ($170)

http://www.shenandoahrestoration.com/motor.html ($150)

Victrola Doctor quoted me at $98.

Here are pictures of the machine in question:

brianu
Victor V

Post by brianu »

they're typically made from pot metal, no doubt.

so far as price, the roughly $75 cost is what I've seen the part alone, uninstalled, sell for. apsco to me has always seemed expensive, and rather curt and unhelpful on the phone, but no matter. those $150 to $175 prices on the sites you provided seem to be for the part plus the installation (into the base of the tonearm support, along with removal of the crumbling portion, which at times can be not so easy). if you can figure it out on your own, I'd suggest seeing if either place will just sell you the part, and see how much that will cost. if they're unreasonable, I'd tell them to forget it, then check with other dealers to find it at the right price - ron sitko might have some, he seems to have everything else.

the machine, though, looks pretty nice and if the whole thing, along with whatever you need for the repairs, comes in under 300 I'd say you got a decent deal (others of course will doubtless disagree, figuring anything but the most rare machine can be found for 100 or less, but if you wait long enough and look hard enough, eventually you might find whatever you want some where by the side of the road for nothing).

tarheeltinkerer
Victor I

brianu wrote:they're typically made from pot metal, no doubt.

so far as price, the roughly $75 cost is what I've seen the part alone, uninstalled, sell for. apsco to me has always seemed expensive, and rather curt and unhelpful on the phone, but no matter. those $150 to $175 prices on the sites you provided seem to be for the part plus the installation (into the base of the tonearm support, along with removal of the crumbling portion, which at times can be not so easy). if you can figure it out on your own, I'd suggest seeing if either place will just sell you the part, and see how much that will cost. if they're unreasonable, I'd tell them to forget it, then check with other dealers to find it at the right price - ron sitko might have some, he seems to have everything else.

the machine, though, looks pretty nice and if the whole thing, along with whatever you need for the repairs, comes in under 300 I'd say you got a decent deal (others of course will doubtless disagree, figuring anything but the most rare machine can be found for 100 or less, but if you wait long enough and look hard enough, eventually you might find whatever you want some where by the side of the road for nothing).
Thanks Brian. It seems that the $70-100 for the part alone seems to be the going price. I'm going to talk to the owner and see if they are willing to drop it down to around $150. I'd like to think I'm capable enough of installing a tone arm on a new support bracket, so my plan is to just get a bracket and roll from there.

brianu
Victor V

Post by brianu »

sounds good enough, but if you really like the machine, don't let the small matter of a twenty dollar bill get too much in your way.

and with the tonearm support, the real trick is getting the remnants of the old one properly out of the base... it can be a pain, especially if it has really swelled and expanded (you'll have to use a hammer and chisel - delicately - or something to that effect to break it up to get it out).

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

To tie in with another recent thread I noticed the handsome Wurlitzer seller's plate- larger than the Victor plate.

tarheeltinkerer
Victor I

estott wrote:To tie in with another recent thread I noticed the handsome Wurlitzer seller's plate- larger than the Victor plate.
The people who have this are the original owners...the grandfather bought the player in Columbus. The serial number dates this player to 1926. I'm interested in it because I can trace the ownership without question and the entire player's history. Now to try and find a nice replacement tone arm support.