(in)famous machine owners

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
coyote
Victor II

(in)famous machine owners

Post by coyote »

A few years ago I purchased an interesting VV 2-60 and record case, apparently once owned by Wilbur B. Foshay. I wonder when the outfit was purchased and the lettering applied as the model was discontinued in 1928, and the Foshay Tower wasn't completed until late August, 1929. The tag attached to the record case looks to me like "WH Foshay," possibly his son, William? The first record on the typed list is of Sousa marches, amusing given the bad blood between Foshay and Sousa when Foshay's check to him bounced! The typed list is pasted over older lists, including a hand-written record index.
IMG_5031.JPG
IMG_5042.JPG
IMG_5040.JPG
Tag attached to record case
Tag attached to record case
IMG_2997.JPG
IMG_2980.JPG

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Re: (in)famous machine owners

Post by epigramophone »

As supplied to party members by Uncle Joe Stalin :
Attachments
ussr.jpg
ussr.jpg (288.4 KiB) Viewed 2424 times

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

As supplied by Adolf Hitler & Co :
Attachments
kCDf8fL.jpg

GregVTLA
Victor III
Personal Text: Greg

Post by GregVTLA »

I wonder why a man as rich as he wouldn't go for one of the more deluxe portables, like the 2-65. It's a really cool item.

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

coyote wrote:... I wonder when the outfit was purchased and the lettering applied as the model was discontinued in 1928, and the Foshay Tower wasn't completed until late August, 1929.

Since Foshay lost all his money in the stock market crash and filed for bankruptcy in 1931 -- http://www.mnopedia.org/person/foshay-wilbur-1881-1957 -- I'd guess it purchased before that time, possibly while the building was still under construction. But it could easily have been purchased in 1929. While discontinued, it would likely have still have been for sale until the remaining stocks were sold out, since this was Victor's top of the line portable model prior to the introduction of the 2-55 later that year.

In fact, according to the Victor Data Book, by Robert Baumbach, most of the 2-60's remaining shipments--to dealers, etc.-- took place in the fourth quarter of 1928, though five were shipped during the first quarter of 1929.

OF

coyote
Victor II

Post by coyote »

OrthoFan: Thanks for the info!

epigramophone: Thanks for the pictures; I especially like the records inside the swastika!

GregVTLA: The 2-65, at least, wasn't produced until Foshay was in the thick of bankruptcy and court proceedings. I wonder if he would have purchased a 2-55 for some Orthophonic magic?

GregVTLA
Victor III
Personal Text: Greg

Post by GregVTLA »

coyote wrote: GregVTLA: The 2-65, at least, wasn't produced until Foshay was in the thick of bankruptcy and court proceedings. I wonder if he would have purchased a 2-55 for some Orthophonic magic?
That's what I was thinking. I would've thought a man like him would jump for the latest technology, having a VV 10-50 at home with a 2-55 for on the go. #4 reproducers sound good but nothing compared to Orthophonic.

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

GregVTLA wrote:... That's what I was thinking. I would've thought a man like him would jump for the latest technology, having a VV 10-50 at home with a 2-55 for on the go. #4 reproducers sound good but nothing compared to Orthophonic.
While they don't have the expanded sound quality a good-condition 2-55 delivers, they still have a mellow, full sound, with quite a bit of bass -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QQtLTHZIRs

I'd swap my chrome plated Paillard portable for one in a heartbeat to a local collector.

OrthoFan

jmad7474
Victor I
Personal Text: "Don't Deny Yourself the Sheer Joy of Orthophonic Music"

Post by jmad7474 »

GregVTLA wrote:
coyote wrote: GregVTLA: The 2-65, at least, wasn't produced until Foshay was in the thick of bankruptcy and court proceedings. I wonder if he would have purchased a 2-55 for some Orthophonic magic?
That's what I was thinking. I would've thought a man like him would jump for the latest technology, having a VV 10-50 at home with a 2-55 for on the go. #4 reproducers sound good but nothing compared to Orthophonic.
I don't think Mr. Foshay was particularly musical himself nor enjoyed listening to music - remember, he stiffed John Phillip Sousa in 1925 for over $10,000 after the opening of his tower!

gunnarthefeisty
Victor III
Personal Text: Started collecting in August 2020, small collection of records

Post by gunnarthefeisty »

Do you still have this machine?