Zonophone serial numbers

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
jboger
Victor IV

Zonophone serial numbers

Post by jboger »

I recently bought a Zonophone. There is a paper sticker on the bottom with a printed date of October 1903. There is also a penciled in serial number on that sticker that matches the serial number stamped into the cast iron bed plate. Individual number punches are used to stamp the serial number. That number is 15358.

What do we know about Zonophone serial numbers? Do we have enough information to date this machine or any machine to the month or year? Has anyone collected such information?

jboger
Victor IV

Re: Zonophone serial numbers

Post by jboger »

I finally recalled that I had promised some photos of this machine that I got about a month ago. This has the original V-Concert soundbox.

Question: The soundbox is hardened onto the tone arm via a rubber spacer that has hardened over time. I think to carefully remove the rubber spacer so that I could attach an Exhibition soundbox. I believe the rubber spacer is original to the machine. Would I be amiss to remove the soundbox? Am I losing anything by doing so? This may seem silly to ask, but as a point of reference old-time collectors of whale oil lamps (ca. 1820-1850s), for example, would leave any old, gummy whale oil residue intact. That is, they would not clean the lamp because the whale oil was proof of age and part of the lamp's history. Any opinions on this matter?
Attachments
DSCF1581.jpg
DSCF1581.jpg (112.98 KiB) Viewed 815 times
DSCF1582.jpg
DSCF1582.jpg (91.44 KiB) Viewed 815 times

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Re: Zonophone serial numbers

Post by Lucius1958 »

Aside from some extreme rarities, I think talking machines are meant to be played. That means functioning parts should be restored to good playing condition: hardened gaskets and insulators reduce the sound quality, and should be replaced.

Use an Exhibition if you want to; but have the V Concert rebuilt as well.

Bill