New Find: Brunswick Panatrope 3KR0

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Oceangoer1
Victor III
Personal Text: "I dreamt of Paris again last night"-Roger

New Find: Brunswick Panatrope 3KR0

Post by Oceangoer1 »

I picked up this Panatrope yesterday! Pictures to follow, but hold on to your seats :shock: The main obstacle in this restoration will definitely be the cabinet. The electronics are clean and the phonograph apparently "played"....whatever that means :roll:

I was wondering if anyone has experience with this model? It is a highboy cabinet and I believe it is similar, in design, to the first version of the VE 7-26 (Radiola 18, magnetic pickup, but less advanced speaker than the later versions).

Also, does the radio have to be restored on this model to use the phonograph? Or are they independent? (I ask because my RE-45 had to have both running in order to use the phonograph, which is what I will use it for the most).

-Connor

Oceangoer1
Victor III
Personal Text: "I dreamt of Paris again last night"-Roger

Re: New Find: Brunswick Panatrope 3KR0

Post by Oceangoer1 »

Here are some preliminary pictures :lol: I did a little cleaning of the turntable area
Attachments
F17C746E-1DCD-4DA9-A249-C39A4B6184A2.jpeg
98027525-20C2-42F4-8BE2-1E0629562B69.jpeg
E0C8A1AF-F1A2-470B-A4EC-375C8DFA44A6.jpeg
10A25983-8A02-42EC-9D84-DC4419D16344.jpeg
61B6F565-709C-4C99-9F54-DD3794EB4023.jpeg
Last edited by Oceangoer1 on Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

The radio has to work.... mostly. The amplifier section of the radio is what the phonograph plays through, so that has to work. If there's something wrong with the tuner section of the radio then it probably wouldn't matter for the phonograph.

As for the radio, it's essentially an RCA Radiola 60, (by the looks of it anyway), those are not so rare to find.

Jwb88
Victor II

Post by Jwb88 »

Bless your heart for rescuing it after it obviously fell prey to the shabby chic-ers. Looks like a nice model.

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

This is awesome!

Let me know what kind of varnish you refinish with. My early-1920s Brunswick was refinished in POLYURETHANE... :roll: so it looks like baseboards from a gas station bathroom. I think I might re-spray it in nitrocellulose varnish but don't know what a period-correct 1920s finish would be like.

And good luck on the Panatrope--a crank motor combined with a tube amp? Best of both worlds!

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

I have an Automatic Panatrope version which is quite similar. Unfortunately in the past someone went all Lt. Dan on the lower legs. Connor, if I could get a length measurement on the turned part of those legs that would be awesome.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

Skihawx
Victor III

Post by Skihawx »

JerryVan wrote:The radio has to work.... mostly. The amplifier section of the radio is what the phonograph plays through, so that has to work. If there's something wrong with the tuner section of the radio then it probably wouldn't matter for the phonograph.

As for the radio, it's essentially an RCA Radiola 60, (by the looks of it anyway), those are not so rare to find.
It is a modified Radiola 18. The modification consists of tap in the 1st audio interstage transformer. This steps up the signal from the pick-up. If this is open it is a hard part to find.

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

And good luck on the Panatrope--a crank motor combined with a tube amp? Best of both worlds!
Correct me if I'm wrong. That's not a crank motor, that's an electric induction disc motor. I know, I have both the 3 spring motor (but I just sold it) and the induction disc motors and they look identical from the top of the motor board. Marc.

EarlH
Victor III

Post by EarlH »

VanEpsFan1914 wrote:This is awesome!

Let me know what kind of varnish you refinish with. My early-1920s Brunswick was refinished in POLYURETHANE... :roll: so it looks like baseboards from a gas station bathroom. I think I might re-spray it in nitrocellulose varnish but don't know what a period-correct 1920s finish would be like.

Tinted lacquer is what they would have used on it in the 20's. Mohawk probably makes the closest thing to the lacquer that they used these days. They didn't get too carried away with crazy art-finishes on the lower end machines, but it still would have looked nice when it was new. Brunswick did a really nice job finishing their cabinets in those days.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Skihawx wrote:
JerryVan wrote:The radio has to work.... mostly. The amplifier section of the radio is what the phonograph plays through, so that has to work. If there's something wrong with the tuner section of the radio then it probably wouldn't matter for the phonograph.

It is a modified Radiola 18. The modification consists of tap in the 1st audio interstage transformer. This steps up the signal from the pick-up. If this is open it is a hard part to find.
Skihawx,

Thanks for the correction. After I typed it, I began to wonder if it was really the 60...