Starr-Gennett info needed for new RJ Wakeman book!

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
PeterF
Victor IV

Starr-Gennett info needed for new RJ Wakeman book!

Post by PeterF »

I recently received a note from the esteemed RJ Wakeman, author of several phonograph-related books, with which some of you may be familiar. He could really use our help. Here’s what he says:

“I am mainly writing for your advice—or help. I've come to an impasse with my research for the Starr phonographs/Gennett records book that I have been researching and writing...I badly need to purchase, borrow, obtain photocopies, or scanned images from original Starr-Gennett literature items, especially phonograph and record catalogs. For some reason, the Starr Piano Company did not widely advertise in early magazines and journals. No one I know has any Starr phonograph catalogs. Still-existing Starr phonographs are rare enough; I have only ever seen three in my years of collecting...The only images of the Starr phonograph models I have thus far found are from the Talking Machine World, and most of the photogravure black and white images in this journal are none too sharp. Starr even made a simple upright floor model which they called Style ¾. They also made a Style ½; it was a table model.

The only image I have of a Starr Isosonic model is from the back cover of one of the TMW issues. The (acoustic) Isosonic models were designed to play the early electrically recorded records. I do not know of any collector who has ever seen or heard one of the Isosonic models; they must be very rare. I have found no evidence that Starr attempted to produce all-electric models in the late 1920's: that would have meant wires and a lot of electronic components.”

So, there you have it. Who can help?

The Starr machines I’ve seen have lovely blonde wood internal horns and well-made cabinets, and robust well-made motors. And of course we all know about the extraordinary Gennett records. The book is worth supporting, so please see what you may have to share with Mr Wakeman to help.

He’s not online so if you don’t mind posting responses here, or by sending me PMs, it would be best, please. Thanks!

Victrolacollector
Victor V

Re: Starr-Gennett info needed for new RJ Wakeman book!

Post by Victrolacollector »

Sounds very interesting. I am wondering if the Starr Gennett Foundation may help?

http://www.starrgennett.org/

phonolamplighter
Victor O
Personal Text: Say it With Music

Post by phonolamplighter »

Good Luck to Mr. Wakeman on this project.

A quick e-bay search shows a few models of phonographs, some advertisements, many different "Gennett" record labels, record sleeves, ads and even a book.

Going to check out that gennett-starr website now.
All the best!
Ed and Nancy

PeterF
Victor IV

Post by PeterF »

Bumping this back up to the top - I'm travelling up to see RJ Wakeman this weekend and would love to have more info to share with him - he's offline so needs stuff hand-carried to him from me.

Thanks!

melvind
Victor IV

Post by melvind »

I have an advertisement I would offer a picture of if it would help. Here is a crude picture, but a better one could be made if he would want it. It is 9"x24.5" in size.
20180202_101138.jpg
Also, I recently purchased the Images of America book called "Gennett Records and Starr Piano" that is full of info and great pictures of both the buildings then and now and lots of advertising. It was done in cooperation with the Gennett Foundation and a family member. It might prove very useful and provide some content and contacts. Here is a link to Amazon.com for the book: http://a.co/7xaYf5x
20180202_101334.jpg

melvind
Victor IV

Post by melvind »

Here is the back of the book. I noticed it is hard to read on Amazon.
20180202_104033.jpg
And, here are a couple of links to the Author's work on Gennett. One a blog and a Facebook page (for those that use facebook :cry: )
https://gennett.wordpress.com/

https://www.facebook.com/GennettRecords

PeterF
Victor IV

Post by PeterF »

Thanks!