OMG I did it!

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Tmahan72
Victor Jr
Personal Text: Vintagelvr

OMG I did it!

Post by Tmahan72 »

I finally did it. I got my first Edison today. A 1908 Standard D. It plays both 2 and 4 minute cylinders. It came with a model H reproducer. Where is a good place to find a reasonably good priced model C reproducer for my 2 minute cylinders?
Attachments
IMG_2854.JPG
Tammy

oldphonographsteve
Victor II
Personal Text: I'm the guy that found the fault in asphalt

Re: OMG I did it!

Post by oldphonographsteve »

Congratulations on your first Edison machine! :) Ebay can be an excellent place to find an Edison model C reproducer, or perhaps you might have even better luck by posting a Wanted post in the Yankee Trader section of the forum.

Stephen

Phono-Phan
Victor V

Post by Phono-Phan »

That looks like a very nice machine!! Congrats!! Don't be surprised if it becomes an obsession. Soon you will be a Phono-holic like the rest of us.
Ken

tomb
Victor IV

Post by tomb »

oldphonographsteve wrote:Congratulations on your first Edison machine! :) Ebay can be an excellent place to find an Edison model C reproducer, or perhaps you might have even better luck by posting a Wanted post in the Yankee Trader section of the forum.

Stephen
Great going The Edison as it is a work horse for playing both two and four minute cylinders. You can go two ways... You can purchase a model C reproducer or a model K reproducer. The model C is a two minute only reproducer and cheaper than the model K. The K reproducer is both a two and four minute reproducer combined into one. It will be more expensive than the C. Sound wise they are both close with the C being somewhat better. Good luck Tom B

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

tomb wrote:
oldphonographsteve wrote:Congratulations on your first Edison machine! :) Ebay can be an excellent place to find an Edison model C reproducer, or perhaps you might have even better luck by posting a Wanted post in the Yankee Trader section of the forum.

Stephen
Great going The Edison as it is a work horse for playing both two and four minute cylinders. You can go two ways... You can purchase a model C reproducer or a model K reproducer. The model C is a two minute only reproducer and cheaper than the model K. The K reproducer is both a two and four minute reproducer combined into one. It will be more expensive than the C. Sound wise they are both close with the C being somewhat better. Good luck Tom B
Congratulations! The first of many, no doubt!

I would actually go for the C reproducer. The C and H both sound a little better than the K in my opinion and are both more forgiving with slightly out of round records than is the K. It's also easier to switch reproducers than to fiddle with that mechanism on the K, especially if you are less than nimble with the fingers like I am. :monkey:

Phototone
Victor III

Post by Phototone »

If you have any of the black "indestructable" or "U.S. Everlasting" type of 2 minute cylinders made from celluloid you can play them with a 4-minute reproducer and do no harm to either reproducer or cylinder. Just don't play wax 2-minute cylinders with the 4-minute reproducer.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

This article on the Antique Phonograph Society is highly recommended for new owners:

https://www.antiquephono.org/basic-anti ... onal-tips/

Enjoy your Edison! :)

George P.

Chuck
Victor III
Personal Text: Richards Laboratories http://www.richardslaboratories.com producing high quality cylinder blanks

Post by Chuck »

Nice! Congratulations on the Edison Standard Model D.

I can say from long years of experience with mine
that it's a very reliable machine. Mine belonged to
my grandfather, who bought it used in 1910.

One thing I can suggest is for you to unscrew the
crank and open the top of the box. The works will
swing upward on the hinges, and then it locks
in place with a catch.

Once opened, you can look for the milled slot at the
left front of the cabinet. This is for the upper horn
crane bracket to fit into. The reason I mention this
is that at some future date you could get the proper
10-panel morning glory horn for it, along with the horn
crane and foot and the brackets.

The sound from the morning glory horn is very loud
and clear. Something to consider for your new
model D combination machine.

I thoroughly agree with what has already been said about
having the model C reproducer to play 2 minute records.

Not only does it sound good, it also makes it possible
to exactly follow the instructions pasted on the
underside of the lid.

Chuck
"Sustained success depends on searching
for, and gaining, fundamental understanding"

-Bell System Credo

melvind
Victor IV

Post by melvind »

A very nice first cylinder machine for sure. Enjoy it for many years!

Tmahan72
Victor Jr
Personal Text: Vintagelvr

Post by Tmahan72 »

Another question is there a certain type of recording reproducer I need if I want to record?
Tammy