RE-45 Checkover Testing?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
ChuckA
Victor III
Personal Text: Learn from the mistakes of others - You can't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Re: RE-45 Checkover Testing?

Post by ChuckA »

RolandVV-360 wrote:
ChuckA wrote:
Find a tech that is knowledgeable with early electronics to get it working. If you want I can give you contact info of a good tech not far from you.

Chuck
Hey, Chuck. Sorry for taking so long to respond, but I'd LOVE to know who's able to help me out with technical issues, especially if I don't have to ship to them.

Many thanks,
-Roland

Roland,

PM sent

Chuck

thedman
Victor Jr

Post by thedman »

HisMastersVoice wrote:Ouch...bummer. Sounds like maybe one of the power transformers on the amplifier may have gone, though I’m not an expert on electrical matters. Luckily, these aren’t rare. In fact, I have a spare set of components for the day that happens to me...
"Ouch" is the best you can say. Every experienced collector knows better than to plug something in if you don't know the repair history MUCH LESS, giving such advise to newbies. Your advise, or lack of, just cost him a hefty repair bill if the transformer has to be re-wound.
To all newbies, never plug these old girls in if you don't know the repair history and your not experienced.

HisMastersVoice
Auxetophone

Post by HisMastersVoice »

thedman wrote:"Ouch" is the best you can say. Every experienced collector knows better than to plug something in if you don't know the repair history MUCH LESS, giving such advise to newbies. Your advise, or lack of, just cost him a hefty repair bill if the transformer has to be re-wound.
Excuse me?

First of all, the advice about how to safely bring it up was given before I shared my personal "take a chance" story. I did not not advise him to plug it in and turn it on. Doing so was already established as a risk, which he chose to take and it didn't work out. Secondly, you can buy an entire working RE-45 for like $300, I got my spare working amplifier for $20, so I think "hefty repair bill" is a bit dramatic. Next time you want to make nasty remarks toward me, I'd advise you to do so in private so I don't have to call you out on your misdirected attitude in public.

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

HisMastersVoice wrote:
thedman wrote:"Ouch" is the best you can say. Every experienced collector knows better than to plug something in if you don't know the repair history MUCH LESS, giving such advise to newbies. Your advise, or lack of, just cost him a hefty repair bill if the transformer has to be re-wound.
Excuse me?

First of all, the advice about how to safely bring it up was given before I shared my personal "take a chance" story. I did not not advise him to plug it in and turn it on. Doing so was already established as a risk, which he chose to take and it didn't work out. Secondly, you can buy an entire working RE-45 for like $300, I got my spare working amplifier for $20, so I think "hefty repair bill" is a bit dramatic. Next time you want to make nasty remarks toward me, I'd advise you to do so in private so I don't have to call you out on your misdirected attitude in public.
Being the admin of a forum is like being President. You get to take the blame for everything. Thought you knew! :lol:
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

HisMastersVoice
Auxetophone

Post by HisMastersVoice »

gramophone-georg wrote:Being the admin of a forum is like being President.
But without the salary!