RE-45 Checkover Testing?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
RolandVV-360
Victor II
Personal Text: The Finest Gift of All!

RE-45 Checkover Testing?

Post by RolandVV-360 »

I just bought my first Electrola today, an RE-45, and I would like to know if there are any simple precautions I could take before plugging the machine up to the mains.
PHONOGRAPH, n. An irritating toy that restores life to dead noises. -Ambrose Bierce

-Roland

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Re: RE-45 Checkover Testing?

Post by marcapra »

Many radio guys would hook it up to a Variac so the can gradually increase the voltage on it to see if anything starts to smoke or heat up. You can also make a light bulb tester where you plug the radio into an extension cord with a light bulb, which will glow brightly if there is a short. Also most radio guys would replace the electrolitic capacitors before plugging it in. There are lots of videos on how to start up old radios on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1mb0te3wVo

Uncle Vanya
Victor IV

Post by Uncle Vanya »

The RE-45 has no electrolytic condensers. C9, C7, C8, and C2 usually need to be replaced, and R7 is often open. Other than THESE items this set is pretty well bulletproof. The pickup will have to be rebuilt and remagnetized, too.

HisMastersVoice
Auxetophone

Post by HisMastersVoice »

Uncle Vanya wrote:The RE-45 has no electrolytic condensers. C9, C7, C8, and C2 usually need to be replaced, and R7 is often open. Other than THESE items this set is pretty well bulletproof. The pickup will have to be rebuilt and remagnetized, too.
As Bob said, these are pretty bulletproof. My RE-45 has had nothing replaced since it was new and I've never had an issue with it. When I first powered mine up, it was not working. Simply re-seating all of the tubes resolved the issue.

Have your pickup rebuilt and re-magnetized by George Epple, he does a fantastic job.

RolandVV-360
Victor II

Post by RolandVV-360 »

Well...

Foolish me decided that since HMV had no trouble with his the first time he plugged it up, mine shouldn't either (A very poor hypothesis). I plugged it into the mains, flipped the switch, and it immediately sparked from the power switch terminal and ceased all activity. I figured that it was screwed and another test couldn't hurt, so I tried again and nothing happened. No tubes lighting, no nothing. Here's my question: what did I blow up, and where do I find it?
PHONOGRAPH, n. An irritating toy that restores life to dead noises. -Ambrose Bierce

-Roland

HisMastersVoice
Auxetophone

Post by HisMastersVoice »

Ouch...bummer. Sounds like maybe one of the power transformers on the amplifier may have gone, though I’m not an expert on electrical matters. Luckily, these aren’t rare. In fact, I have a spare set of components for the day that happens to me...

Uncle Vanya
Victor IV

Post by Uncle Vanya »

Some sets, particularly early production, were built with inferior paper filter condensers, the very parts which I suggested be replaced. You may well have destroyed your power transformer. A modern replacement would be rather expensive. You should be able to find a replacement in another set, perhaps one with a damaged cabinet. That power amplifer/socket power unit was used in the RE-45, the RE-75, the R-32, and in the R-52. A quarter million were built in 1929 and 1930, and so they can be found without too much effort.

Uncle Vanya
Victor IV

Post by Uncle Vanya »

Some sets, particularly early production, were built with inferior paper filter condensers, the very parts which I suggested be replaced. You may well have destroyed your power transformer. A modern replacement would be rather expensive. You should be able to find a replacement in another set, perhaps one with a damaged cabinet. That power amplifer/socket power unit was used in the RE-45, the RE-75, the R-32, and in the R-52. A quarter million were built in 1929 and 1930, and so they can be found without too much effort.

ChuckA
Victor III
Personal Text: Learn from the mistakes of others - You can't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Post by ChuckA »

RolandVV-360 wrote:Well...

Foolish me decided that since HMV had no trouble with his the first time he plugged it up, mine shouldn't either (A very poor hypothesis). I plugged it into the mains, flipped the switch, and it immediately sparked from the power switch terminal and ceased all activity. I figured that it was screwed and another test couldn't hurt, so I tried again and nothing happened. No tubes lighting, no nothing. Here's my question: what did I blow up, and where do I find it?

If you are lucky you may have just blew open the power switch. Not that that will help you much if the original problem is a shorted power transformer.

As has been pointed out in almost every thread about early electronics, use a variac (with an ammeter, one of my requirements) to bring up a piece of equipment that has been sitting for 40+ years.

Find a tech that is knowledgeable with early electronics to get it working. If you want I can give you contact info of a good tech not far from you.

Chuck

RolandVV-360
Victor II

Post by RolandVV-360 »

ChuckA wrote:
Find a tech that is knowledgeable with early electronics to get it working. If you want I can give you contact info of a good tech not far from you.

Chuck
Hey, Chuck. Sorry for taking so long to respond, but I'd LOVE to know who's able to help me out with technical issues, especially if I don't have to ship to them.

Many thanks,
-Roland

-Roland