Crap.......oh!

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Re: Crap.......oh!

Post by Steve »

so is yours essentially the same as the early victor MS (with three-spring motor, etc.)? do you know whether your model also was offered with a rear-mounting bracket (or with, as some victor machines had, the option with extra drilled holes - usually covered by a thin plate - for either to be installed)?
No, my machine is the 'Single Spring Monarch' (using UK terminology) but was sent via the offices of G & T in London to Gramophone Du Francaise in Paris, where it was sold as a 'No.7' and is featured in the book 'World of Antique Phonographs'.

The single spring versions are usually identifiable by the smoooth rounded columns on each corner of the cabinet. The triple (and double?) spring variants usually have some fluting to the columns. I assume these machines only existed in single, double and triple spring motor variants in the UK and Europe, whilst Victor only offered the triple spring motor?

My machine has only two holes drilled through the case for a front mounted rigid arm, nothing for a rear mount configuration. Of course, this machine was also offered here in triple spring version with rear mounted bracket. It is perhaps also worth mentioning that the triple spring motor cabinet is slightly bigger and has a different moulding around the edge of the motor board.

Sidewinder
Victor III

Re: Crap.......oh!

Post by Sidewinder »

Hi Steve

Well called. It is the single spring English model with english Recording Angel transfer. The second "transfer" is the dealers plaque.