Reproducer removal problem

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
JohnM
Victor V

Re: Reproducer removal problem

Post by JohnM »

HisMastersVoice wrote:
JohnM wrote:WD-40 is 90% marketing and 10% effective as anything but but a rust-preventative. It is fish oil in a naphtha carrier. When the naphtha rapidly evaporated, you are left with a gummy residue that oxidizes rapidly to become a rust-resistant coating. It is NOT an effective penetrating lube. Buy a can of PB Bladter it Kroil if you want a real penetrating lubricant. Throw the stinky WD-40 in the trash.
Agreed! PB Blaster is magical stuff. I don’t even own a can of WD-40. It smells awful and doesn’t really work as well as more specialized penetrating oils, lubricants, and rust inhibitors. Also, the fish oil thing is a myth, FYI.
I don’t keep notes on this sort of thing, but I recall reading that the founder or promoter of WD-40 used to brag that one could drink the active ingredient in the stuff, it was so safe. That may have given rise to the fish oil rumor, or perhaps what has been sold for umpteen years is actually WD-41? Lol!
"All of us have a place in history. Mine is clouds." Richard Brautigan

NEFaurora
Victor IV
Personal Text: "A Phonograph in every home..."

Post by NEFaurora »

"Buy a can of PB Blaster it Kroil if you want a real penetrating lubricant. Throw the stinky WD-40 in the trash."

Actually PB Blaster is much worse than WD-40...plus leaves a nasty milky white residue due to its Lithium Base....Who wants that???

Serious Tests of Penetration Oils on the market were done in the last few years...and it was found that Liquid Wrench was found to be#2 and Kroil was found to be #1.

Kroil is somewhat expensive, but you can pick up Liquid Wrench in a can real cheap at Wal-Mart. Just some helpful info..

:o)

Tony K.

Edison Collector/Restorer

Crank_it_up
Victor III

Post by Crank_it_up »

I would look for a decent Edison Standard Model B with a Model C reproducer, it will be about the same price as a Model O. If you destroy the N removing it the only value will be the tail weight and stylus. Be VERY careful, and leave the big hammers in the toolbox. I think most collectors that have owned several Edisons have encountered this problem. I have never had luck with the freezing technique but try it for several days before wailing away with a hammer. Penetrating oils would be next, again for several days. If it still is stuck and you haven't found that $300 Standard, then you're on your own with the hammer! GOOD LUCK!
Joe

Herman
Victor II

Post by Herman »

callron wrote:I have a Home 'D' 2/4 combo with the horizontal carriage. The Reproducer is the N86 (4 min) type and it is "frozen" in the carriage. I've tried WD40, heat, light pressure, etc., to no avail. It appears to be pot metal so I'm reluctant to try prying or forcing it for fear of breaking.

Since this reproducer is larger in diameter than the 'C' on my Standard, what 2 min reproducer will fit this carriage?
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
See my post here:

http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... 48#p187048

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

callron wrote: Since this reproducer is larger in diameter than the 'C' on my Standard, what 2 min reproducer will fit this carriage?
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
There was an adapter ring made for the large carriages, which would accommodate a C, H, or other smaller reproducer: I believe some suppliers are making reproductions of these. (The originals were pot metal, and suffered the same problems as your N).

Bill