Record cleaner...

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Stones
Victor Jr

Record cleaner...

Post by Stones »

Has anyone seen one of these before? Is this in fact a record cleaner? I’m not quite sure but, would appreciate any info.
Thanks
Attachments
8E16C115-8578-4702-9A03-D260539042E4.jpeg
D6106CA7-C89F-4669-BBB4-8174BB9FB938.jpeg

HisMastersVoice
Auxetophone

Re: Record cleaner...

Post by HisMastersVoice »

Yes it’s a record duster, I had the same one a while ago. Someone changed the pad, though. It should be white velvet.

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

It sure is a record cleaner. I believe this was for the Edison lateral adapter, that was short lived. However, this could be used with regular 78's. There is a long rectangular one with the same oxidized striping. Even though the patent date is 1914, I display these with my Victor R and P models. You have a real nice one.
Harvey Kravitz

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

I never saw these in white velvet. Just the carpet type.
Harvey Kravitz
HisMastersVoice wrote:Yes it’s a record duster, I had the same one a while ago. Someone changed the pad, though. It should be white velvet.

Stones
Victor Jr

Post by Stones »

Thanks much for the info. Glad to hear it is in fact an actual record cleaner. The other half thought it might have been something to shove furniture around with. ;)
The pad material certainly looks like it was installed at the time of the holder making. Just my opinion, of course. I have it displayed with my Vic XI as the time period is about the same.

HisMastersVoice
Auxetophone

Post by HisMastersVoice »

Perhaps they used various materials throughout production. Mine had (original, moth-eaten) off-white velvet.

PeterF
Victor IV

Post by PeterF »

My two examples of this particular cleaner also have the carpet style pad, which appears original.