The rise and fall of the caster on floor model phonographs

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

The rise and fall of the caster on floor model phonographs

Post by marcapra »

Hey, there's a subject for a new book. Casters, their rise, decline, and fall as used on the phonograph. Edison used them on his early floor models and I think early Victrolas had them too. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think maybe Edison's Chippendale may have been one of the last floor models made with casters. Fran could probably tell us if the last Chippendales made in the mid-20's still had casters. I think the first casters used were brass followed by the newly invented "Feltoid" casters, which didn't scratch your floors. I have found that finding exact matches for phonograph casters can be difficult. And I don't think they make reproductions of them. Am I right? By the mid to late 1920's, I think casters had become obsolete as phonographs were meant to be put in one place and not to be moved around.

Photos of a 1909 Brass caster from an early Herzog Amberola 1A:
Attachments
P1000915.JPG
P1000913.JPG
P1000908.JPG
P1000909.JPG

bigshot
Victor II

Re: The rise and fall of the caster on floor model phonograp

Post by bigshot »

Casters continued as a dealer option for quite a while. I have Brunswick Cortez that I've never seen with casters before, but the ones on mine are clearly as old as the machine. I'm glad too, because I like to wheel it out front and center when I play it.

PeterF
Victor IV

Post by PeterF »

I always try to quickly replace any castors found on my phonos - and other furniture - with the more durable and longer-lived polluxes.

I've had very limited success. Trouble with interference from accumulations of swan feathers, mostly.

Jwb88
Victor II

Post by Jwb88 »

My Edison C-200 was missing its casters and I was determined to find replacements. They're not only convenient (when they work), but the added height makes a big difference visually. I had trouble finding replacements beacause I didn't know the various kinds/sizes, but it seems that any metal caster marked "Universal" or "#5" are the size that generally fit. I believe that's what the feltoid style are, as well.

If the sockets inside are slightly too loose, you can take them out and pinch them shut a little, then reinstall. The best casters have the circle of ball bearings on top. When they work freely and are cleaned and lightly oiled, wow! I can move it around easily and I have to be careful when closing the drawer that I don't push the whole machine back!
Attachments
IMG_5809.JPG

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

Marc, my late C 19 #172,249 was equiped with feltoid casters. I have to assume the last Chippendale that ever left the Edison co. had them as well.

Best,
Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

JTW, Boy that 200 looks good! The caster you found looks good and if that leg is an indication of your finishing skills, you do great work! I'd like to see more pics of your Edison 200! Fran, then the Chippendale may be the last major phonograph that came from the factory with castors. My other oak Amberola 1A with a Pooley cabinet has feltoid casters. After a hundred years, the feltoid get worn down. Do they make repro feltoid wheels or castors? Thanks, Marc.

marcapra
Victor V

Post by marcapra »

I always try to quickly replace any castors found on my phonos - and other furniture - with the more durable and longer-lived polluxes.

I've had very limited success. Trouble with interference from accumulations of swan feathers, mostly.
Say what??? Oh, that Castor:

In Greek and Roman mythology, Castor[1] and Pollux,[2] or Kastor and Polydeuces,[3] were twin brothers, together known as the Dioscuri or Dioskouroi.[4] Their mother was Leda, but they had different fathers; Castor was the mortal son of Tyndareus, the king of Sparta, while Pollux was the divine son of Zeus, who seduced Leda in the guise of a swan. Though accounts of their birth are varied, they are sometimes said to have been born from an egg, along with their twin sisters or half-sisters Helen of Troy and Clytemnestra.

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

marcapra wrote:

Say what??? Oh, that Castor:

In Greek and Roman mythology, Castor[1] and Pollux,[2] or Kastor and Polydeuces,[3] were twin brothers, together known as the Dioscuri or Dioskouroi.[4] Their mother was Leda, but they had different fathers; Castor was the mortal son of Tyndareus, the king of Sparta, while Pollux was the divine son of Zeus, who seduced Leda in the guise of a swan. Though accounts of their birth are varied, they are sometimes said to have been born from an egg, along with their twin sisters or half-sisters Helen of Troy and Clytemnestra.
Castor? You got it right, old bean...

Bill

Jwb88
Victor II

Post by Jwb88 »

I will certainly be posting photos of the 200 but I still have to finish the grille. When that's done, I'll absolutely post about my new shiny toy. I am glad, however, that the bit of leg in my photo stirred such anticipation (compare to photo below).

I can't imagine a C250 or C19 without casters. I remember a friend mentioning to me how long they made that model and how so many people bought them, but it's because it really was a genuinely good design, I think.
Attachments
il_570xN.262709126.jpg

marcapra
Victor V

Post by marcapra »

"In olden days a glimpse of stocking was looked on as something shocking, but God knows, anything goes!" Cole Porter 1934

Is that picture the first in a sequence hopefully?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wd1w5tn040g