Victor Junior with Factory Exhibition Adaptor

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
GregVTLA
Victor III
Personal Text: Greg

Re: Victor Junior with Factory Exhibition Adaptor

Post by GregVTLA »

If it really bugs you, you could always do what this guy did and print a paper label that says Victor Junior http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... =2&t=11943

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

I think the missing Victor Jr. can be explained in different ways. First, it could be an upgrade to make the machine sound better. Victor always had a gimmick for owners to update their machines. Second, the reproducer could have been lost over the years. Third, an unscrupulous collector or dealer separated the machine from the reproducer for greed. They know, they can get big bucks fora loose Jr. reproducer. Also, Victor Jr. machines are pretty scarce like an Edison Gem. These were entry level, rudimentary machines. Most of them were traded in for better machines, tossed in the trash, or donated to the scrap drives of WWI and WWII.
Harvey Kravitz

DrGregC
Victor I

Post by DrGregC »

Apparently upgrading reproducers on the earliest machines was common. Victor encouraged it. I had an extended discussion about this topic when I was selling my Johnson Monarch. As always, great insight from George P. http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... f=2&t=8225

But... sometimes you may be dealing with an unscrupulous seller. Several years ago, I went to the home of a seller to purchase what was billed as an original and complete Victor 0. It had an Exhibition reproducer that did not physically match the appearance or age of the machine. A good friend who was with me spotted a group of reproducers sitting on an adjacent counter which included the correct #15 Victor 0 reproducer. It matched the machine. When I pointed this out to the seller, he made excuses, but was clearly embarrassed that he was caught in a scam. He sold me the machine with the correct reproducer. Still have it. It is a keeper.

BTW The machine is serial #4458, which makes it a Victor 0 type B, 1909-1910, which was sold with a #15 Victor 0 reproducer. It was not until the type F in 1912 that they shipped with a #11 Exhibition. An interesting story to tell since 99% of my transactions in this hobby have been upfront and honest with nice people.