Bought the Victrola VV 4-7

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
tarheeltinkerer
Victor I

Bought the Victrola VV 4-7

Post by tarheeltinkerer »

I brought it home last night after the seller agreed to part with it for under three figures plus around 100 78s.

As mentioned previously, the tone arm support is going to be need to be replaced, and the soundbox will need to be rebuilt (if possible). There is one spot of veneer separation, but other than that the cabinet is just going to be cleaned. Here are some photos of the player as it is without any work.

There is one crack in the potmetal, between the H and O in "Ortho." I realize now why I thought the tone arm support was bakelite...at some point it was repaired with epoxy and as the epoxy was breaking down, it resembled the brownish/yellow appearance of bakelite to me, haha.
Last edited by tarheeltinkerer on Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

brianu
Victor V
Personal Text: on instagram as "oncedeadsound"

Re: Bought the Victrola VV 4-7

Post by brianu »

sounds like you got a decent deal.

is there any way you can post/upload the photos directly to the forum rather than through some other server? my computer/browser/whatever isn't allowing them to show up.

bbphonoguy
Victor III

Post by bbphonoguy »

To get this machine and 100 records for under $100 is a bargain. Congratulations!

Are any of the records of particular interest?

brianu
Victor V

Post by brianu »

bbphonoguy wrote:To get this machine and 100 records for under $100 is a bargain. Congratulations!

I think he meant 300.

and again, at 300, that's a pretty good deal, that machine is in phenomenal shape - the reproducer doesn't even look too bad, and the antiqued bronze finish on the hardware (at least, I think that's what it is) looks great... too bad about the tonearm support, but even that can probably be fixed rather than replaced if you chose to do that.

tarheeltinkerer
Victor I

brianu wrote:
bbphonoguy wrote:To get this machine and 100 records for under $100 is a bargain. Congratulations!

I think he meant 300.

and again, at 300, that's a pretty good deal, that machine is in phenomenal shape - the reproducer doesn't even look too bad, and the antiqued bronze finish on the hardware (at least, I think that's what it is) looks great... too bad about the tonearm support, but even that can probably be fixed rather than replaced if you chose to do that.

It cost me $90 for the player and all the records, and I'm guessing 100 of them...they filled two rubber maid tubs. It will cost $125 to get the tone arm support replaced...someone attempted to repair the tone arm support before and even that repair has failed. I'd rather just replace it so it's a non-issue. The reproducer/soundbox will be worked on down the road...I'm curious to hear how it sounds pre-rebuild. Yes, the original finish is antiqued bronze for all the metal parts.

As for the records, there is a bit of everything: Benny Goodman, Tommy Dorsey, Ella Fitzgerald, Chick Webb, Lionel Hampton, Frank Sinatra, Guy Lombardo, Perry Como, Bing Crosby, George Gershwin, Stephen C. Foster collection, Dinah Shore, and so forth and so on. A nice "who's who" of music.

brianu
Victor V

Post by brianu »

tarheeltinkerer wrote:
brianu wrote:

I think he meant 300.

It cost me $90 for the player and all the records, and I'm guessing 100 of them...they filled two rubber maid tubs. It will cost $125 to get the tone arm support replaced...someone attempted to repair the tone arm support before and even that repair has failed. I'd rather just replace it so it's a non-issue. The reproducer/soundbox will be worked on down the road...I'm curious to hear how it sounds pre-rebuild. Yes, the original finish is antiqued bronze for all the metal parts.

As for the records, there is a bit of everything: Benny Goodman, Tommy Dorsey, Ella Fitzgerald, Chick Webb, Lionel Hampton, Frank Sinatra, Guy Lombardo, Perry Como, Bing Crosby, George Gershwin, Stephen C. Foster collection, Dinah Shore, and so forth and so on. A nice "who's who" of music.

90??? well then, regardless of the records, I'd say you got a virtual steal. 125 does seem like a lot to replace that tonearm overhang... does the price include the installation of the new one?

tarheeltinkerer
Victor I

brianu wrote:90??? well then, regardless of the records, I'd say you got a virtual steal. 125 does seem like a lot to replace that tonearm overhang... does the price include the installation of the new one?
$125 would be for a new tone arm support and it's installation with the tone arm (plus shipping). If I could find a replacement tone arm support for under $100, I would go that route and install it myself, but $125 is the cheapest I have found anywhere. I will reiterate for other posters that the potmetal support arm is so shot that I can smash it in two with less strength than is required to open a beer bottle.

tarheeltinkerer
Victor I

I got my tone arm back with a new tone arm support. Here's the finished player in action (I have not touched the soundbox at all):

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpT2zkn2NnA[/youtube]

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

Thanks for posting the video. I think it sounds pretty good. I don't hear any of the squawks and buzzes normally heard with an as-found sound box, especially one playing such a demanding recording that was cut more for reproduction on a jukebox.

I think, though, considering the overall excellent condition of the Victrola, it would be worth the investment, at some point, to have the sound box overhauled with fresh gaskets, ball bearings, and a new back rubber flange. You should hear a considerable reduction in surface noise, coupled with more powerful and enhanced mid-range/upper bass, once this is done. Also, the tracking will be improved, and record wear will be reduced.

In spite of the fact that it was a popular model, and more than 75,000 were produced, I haven't seen too many 4-7s surface, especially in my neck of the woods. The last one I saw, about ten years ago, was missing its legs and the cabinet had been stripped and re-coated with Danish Oil, giving it a blond finish. The shop, now out of business, wanted $500 for it! I think you got a bargain.

SonnyPhono
Victor III
Personal Text: Drawing a blank...

Post by SonnyPhono »

I love to hear stories of great deals! Great find and glad to see you found a nice phonograph and have brought it back to life!