Needle Storage for Open Machines

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Django
Victor IV

Needle Storage for Open Machines

Post by Django »

I have seen two posts recently having to do with needle storage, (one regarding a back bracket mounted needle case and the other being a Gramophone wooden needle box). Both are clearly more desirable that what I have come up with, but I still wanted something simple and useful while not looking terribly out of place and I did not know what others do, so as usual, I made my own. The one that I posted has cups from a Sonora Queen Ann. I have made others, but I like this one best. They are fairly simple being made from a solid piece.

I am curious what others do. Please post your solutions.
Attachments
IMG_0885.JPG

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Re: Needle Storage for Open Machines

Post by Jerry B. »

Very creative. I like the swelled sided look.

Jerry B.

HisMastersVoice
Auxetophone

Post by HisMastersVoice »

I use these:
7CA53103-7FEE-44E5-8B50-825776C362B9.jpeg

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

HisMastersVoice wrote:I use these:
Very nice. Do these turn up very often?

HisMastersVoice
Auxetophone

Post by HisMastersVoice »

Django wrote:
HisMastersVoice wrote:I use these:
Very nice. Do these turn up very often?
Not in the US, no. You’ll occasionally find them on eBay UK - they are often a bit pricey though.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

I use this wooden box, which although unbranded is well made and has some age. Like most of my needle tins and boxes, it came with a machine purchased at auction :
Attachments
IMG_1817.JPG
IMG_1816.JPG

SteveM
Victor II

Post by SteveM »

I love seeing what you all use, it's something that I'm continually struggling with! Maybe not exclusive to the realm of outside horn machines, but somebody once posted something that was akin to a "needle dispenser" of some sort. Does anybody know what that might be?
EDIT: whoops I found the thread 8-)
“The cup of tea on arrival at a country house is a thing which, as a rule, I particularly enjoy. I like the crackling logs, the shaded lights, the scent of buttered toast, the general atmosphere of leisured cosiness.”

P. G. Wodehouse

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

Django wrote:I have seen two posts recently having to do with needle storage, (one regarding a back bracket mounted needle case and the other being a Gramophone wooden needle box). Both are clearly more desirable that what I have come up with, but I still wanted something simple and useful while not looking terribly out of place and I did not know what others do, so as usual, I made my own. The one that I posted has cups from a Sonora Queen Ann. I have made others, but I like this one best. They are fairly simple being made from a solid piece.

I really like your solution...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

Curt A wrote:
Django wrote:I have seen two posts recently having to do with needle storage, (one regarding a back bracket mounted needle case and the other being a Gramophone wooden needle box). Both are clearly more desirable that what I have come up with, but I still wanted something simple and useful while not looking terribly out of place and I did not know what others do, so as usual, I made my own. The one that I posted has cups from a Sonora Queen Ann. I have made others, but I like this one best. They are fairly simple being made from a solid piece.

I really like your solution...
Thanks. I have made them for my daughters and I have two, this one and another made from birds-eye maple with a Victrola covered needle cup and the needle storage cups are simply machined into the wood. The decals are victor horn decals from Eduardo in Peru. I am considering one that clips over the side of a horned machine cabinet and is secured by the motor-board.

I would expect that there are many collectors who have solutions like maybe a jewelry box with needle cups. I would love to see more of what other collectors have come up with.

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

Boring old me just use the original black cardboard Victor needle boxes with two or three compartments. I do
Iike your wooden needle dispenser very much. With cats around I would need lids on the needle cups though.

Andreas