Value of a Edison C150

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
VictorVV-X
Victor II

Value of a Edison C150

Post by VictorVV-X »

Hello all, I am looking into a couple of Edison C150 Disc Phonographs. One of them is in a light case and in very good condition and is only missing the original crank; however, an attachment has been made up to be able to wind the motor. It doesn't come with any records but they are only asking $95 for it.

The second is a dark colored one but it has both the diamond disc reproducer and the '78 adapter,' as well as several edison discs and 78 records. It works well and sounds good. The case is in good condition with a few marks here and there but is not really 'alligatored'. The seller of this one is down to $125.

I know the C150s are more common, but what is a rough idea on value for these machines.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

VictorVV-X

Jwb88
Victor II

Re: Value of a Edison C150

Post by Jwb88 »

I'd make sure the Edison stylus was good as a determining factor. If you have an edison disc, test it on the light one and see if it leaves any traces of lines in the smooth area after the grooves, and if it doesn't, play some music. If the grooves don't alter appearance after being played, then it's probably good. Good original styluses are worth a lot to me, so that would sway my purchase. Although, if the light one is oak, I'd want that cabinet over darker mahogany.

VictorVV-X
Victor II

Post by VictorVV-X »

Jwb88 wrote:I'd make sure the Edison stylus was good as a determining factor. If you have an edison disc, test it on the light one and see if it leaves any traces of lines in the smooth area after the grooves, and if it doesn't, play some music. If the grooves don't alter appearance after being played, then it's probably good. Good original styluses are worth a lot to me, so that would sway my purchase. Although, if the light one is oak, I'd want that cabinet over darker mahogany.
Jwb88, thank you for the information. Unfortunately, I do not have any edison discs to try the lighter of the two. The darker one sounded good, but I did not think to look at the groveless area... though the seller had been using the regular 78 adapter to play the edison disc before I looked at it :shock: ....

Jwb88
Victor II

Post by Jwb88 »

Then I'd go with the darker. They both sound like great deals to me, really. I'm in Southern California and prices are high. I'm also a huge diamond disc fan. So if you want my advice: go get it! The C-150 is a good performer and, if you look at my recent post of my C-200, it's interesting to note that they both have the same internal mechanism and horn. A c-150 will sound as good as a 200.

VictorVV-X
Victor II

Post by VictorVV-X »

Jwb88 wrote:Then I'd go with the darker. They both sound like great deals to me, really. I'm in Southern California and prices are high. I'm also a huge diamond disc fan. So if you want my advice: go get it! The C-150 is a good performer and, if you look at my recent post of my C-200, it's interesting to note that they both have the same internal mechanism and horn. A c-150 will sound as good as a 200.
Jwb88, I greatly appreciate your help!

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

VictorVV-X wrote:Hello all, I am looking into a couple of Edison C150 Disc Phonographs. One of them is in a light case and in very good condition and is only missing the original crank; however, an attachment has been made up to be able to wind the motor. It doesn't come with any records but they are only asking $95 for it.

The second is a dark colored one but it has both the diamond disc reproducer and the '78 adapter,' as well as several edison discs and 78 records. It works well and sounds good. The case is in good condition with a few marks here and there but is not really 'alligatored'. The seller of this one is down to $125.

I know the C150s are more common, but what is a rough idea on value for these machines.

VictorVV-X
As noted, the stylus is going to be the major factor here. As long as the stylus is good, the $100 ballpark is more than fine. I paid $75 for C150 with a broken spring. I sent the spring out to be replaced and since then it has been my daily player. The motor is the quietest motor of any antique phonograph I own.

A couple of other minor things you might want to consider. Oak is definitely harder to find than mahogany. Finding a crank for this machine should be very easy. Also check to see if the record rack is still in the cabinet, and check to see if the mute ball is still in the horn. Both of those things are frequently missing. Neither significantly detracts from value, but it's always better to get something that's complete if possible.

Lastly, look at the bedplate and see if there are any decals on it. The decals were dropped around 1915 or so. They won't affect the sound at all, but they do dress up the machine a bit.

Good luck!

VictorVV-X
Victor II

Post by VictorVV-X »

52089 wrote:
VictorVV-X wrote:Hello all, I am looking into a couple of Edison C150 Disc Phonographs. One of them is in a light case and in very good condition and is only missing the original crank; however, an attachment has been made up to be able to wind the motor. It doesn't come with any records but they are only asking $95 for it.

VictorVV-X
As noted, the stylus is going to be the major factor here. As long as the stylus is good, the $100 ballpark is more than fine. I paid $75 for C150 with a broken spring. I sent the spring out to be replaced and since then it has been my daily player. The motor is the quietest motor of any antique phonograph I own.

A couple of other minor things you might want to consider. Oak is definitely harder to find than mahogany. Finding a crank for this machine should be very easy. Also check to see if the record rack is still in the cabinet, and check to see if the mute ball is still in the horn. Both of those things are frequently missing. Neither significantly detracts from value, but it's always better to get something that's complete if possible.

Lastly, look at the bedplate and see if there are any decals on it. The decals were dropped around 1915 or so. They won't affect the sound at all, but they do dress up the machine a bit.

Good luck!
52089, thank you for the help. Both machines were complete (apart from the missing crank), though the mute ball need some adjustment on the machine I was able to test, but that should be an easy fix. I did try to buy the more complete of the two for $100, but the seller wouldn't budge, so $125 would be a fair price, right?

Thank you again.
VictorVV-X.

VictorVV-X
Victor II

Post by VictorVV-X »

Thank you all again for your help. Out of curiosity, on the darker machine, with all of the things that come with it (edison diamond discs, 78 records, the 78 adaptor) would it be worth $150? If I get it, I'm not looking to flip it, I just want to know where I stand.

Thanks again.
VictorVV-X

Jwb88
Victor II

Post by Jwb88 »

I should think the 78 adapter and other parts would make it well worth $150. I mean, I don't know about anyone else, but it would be in my garage right now.

VictorVV-X
Victor II

Post by VictorVV-X »

Jwb88 wrote:I should think the 78 adapter and other parts would make it well worth $150. I mean, I don't know about anyone else, but it would be in my garage right now.
Jwb88, thank you very much. I greatly appreciate it.

VictorVV-X