The Talking Machine Forum — For All Antique Phonographs & Recordings
http://forum.talkingmachine.info/

Needle Storage for Open Machines
http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=33617
Page 1 of 2

Author:  Django [ Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:32 pm ]
Post subject:  Needle Storage for Open Machines

I have seen two posts recently having to do with needle storage, (one regarding a back bracket mounted needle case and the other being a Gramophone wooden needle box). Both are clearly more desirable that what I have come up with, but I still wanted something simple and useful while not looking terribly out of place and I did not know what others do, so as usual, I made my own. The one that I posted has cups from a Sonora Queen Ann. I have made others, but I like this one best. They are fairly simple being made from a solid piece.

I am curious what others do. Please post your solutions.

Attachments:
IMG_0885.JPG
IMG_0885.JPG [ 2.55 MiB | Viewed 967 times ]

Author:  Jerry B. [ Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:38 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Needle Storage for Open Machines

Very creative. I like the swelled sided look.

Jerry B.

Author:  HisMastersVoice [ Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:05 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Needle Storage for Open Machines

I use these:

Attachment:
7CA53103-7FEE-44E5-8B50-825776C362B9.jpeg
7CA53103-7FEE-44E5-8B50-825776C362B9.jpeg [ 1.98 MiB | Viewed 945 times ]

Author:  Django [ Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:30 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Needle Storage for Open Machines

HisMastersVoice wrote:
I use these:

Attachment:
7CA53103-7FEE-44E5-8B50-825776C362B9.jpeg


Very nice. Do these turn up very often?

Author:  HisMastersVoice [ Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:34 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Needle Storage for Open Machines

Django wrote:
HisMastersVoice wrote:
I use these:

Attachment:
7CA53103-7FEE-44E5-8B50-825776C362B9.jpeg


Very nice. Do these turn up very often?


Not in the US, no. You’ll occasionally find them on eBay UK - they are often a bit pricey though.

Author:  epigramophone [ Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:12 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Needle Storage for Open Machines

I use this wooden box, which although unbranded is well made and has some age. Like most of my needle tins and boxes, it came with a machine purchased at auction :

Attachments:
IMG_1817.JPG
IMG_1817.JPG [ 939.62 KiB | Viewed 841 times ]
IMG_1816.JPG
IMG_1816.JPG [ 603.05 KiB | Viewed 841 times ]

Author:  SteveM [ Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:24 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Needle Storage for Open Machines

I love seeing what you all use, it's something that I'm continually struggling with! Maybe not exclusive to the realm of outside horn machines, but somebody once posted something that was akin to a "needle dispenser" of some sort. Does anybody know what that might be?
EDIT: whoops I found the thread 8-)

Author:  Curt A [ Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:35 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Needle Storage for Open Machines

Django wrote:
I have seen two posts recently having to do with needle storage, (one regarding a back bracket mounted needle case and the other being a Gramophone wooden needle box). Both are clearly more desirable that what I have come up with, but I still wanted something simple and useful while not looking terribly out of place and I did not know what others do, so as usual, I made my own. The one that I posted has cups from a Sonora Queen Ann. I have made others, but I like this one best. They are fairly simple being made from a solid piece.

I am curious what others do. Please post your solutions.

I really like your solution...

Author:  Django [ Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:31 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Needle Storage for Open Machines

Curt A wrote:
Django wrote:
I have seen two posts recently having to do with needle storage, (one regarding a back bracket mounted needle case and the other being a Gramophone wooden needle box). Both are clearly more desirable that what I have come up with, but I still wanted something simple and useful while not looking terribly out of place and I did not know what others do, so as usual, I made my own. The one that I posted has cups from a Sonora Queen Ann. I have made others, but I like this one best. They are fairly simple being made from a solid piece.

I am curious what others do. Please post your solutions.

I really like your solution...


Thanks. I have made them for my daughters and I have two, this one and another made from birds-eye maple with a Victrola covered needle cup and the needle storage cups are simply machined into the wood. The decals are victor horn decals from Eduardo in Peru. I am considering one that clips over the side of a horned machine cabinet and is secured by the motor-board.

I would expect that there are many collectors who have solutions like maybe a jewelry box with needle cups. I would love to see more of what other collectors have come up with.

Author:  alang [ Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:59 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Needle Storage for Open Machines

Boring old me just use the original black cardboard Victor needle boxes with two or three compartments. I do
Iike your wooden needle dispenser very much. With cats around I would need lids on the needle cups though.

Andreas

Page 1 of 2 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/