Columbia Q serial number N 314371 -What does the N indicate?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Menophanes
Victor II

Re: Columbia Q serial number N 314371 -What does the N indic

Post by Menophanes »

My Q, no. 647122, has either a B or a P (the lower part is unclear) on the flange of the base-plate at the back. The serial number is on the upper face of the plate at right-hand front. I believe this machine dates from 1901; the last patent date is March 1897, but there is a sticker on the back of the lid which mentions the Paris Exposition of 1900.

Incidentally, I notice that Phono-farm's machine has the same reproducer as mine: small, with an aluminium body which simply pushes onto the carrier and a horn-tube that meets the diaphragm housing at an angle. By contrast, many Qs (and other Columbia models) seem to have a slightly larger reproducer which is secured to the carrier by a thumbscrew and whose horn-tube is parallel to the diaphragm housing. Is this a later type? I have not been able to find much information about the reproducers on cylinder Graphophones.

Oliver Mundy.

phono-farm
Victor O

Post by phono-farm »

Menophanes wrote:I notice that Phono-farm's machine has the same reproducer as mine: small, with an aluminium body which simply pushes onto the carrier and a horn-tube that meets the diaphragm housing at an angle. By contrast, many Qs (and other Columbia models) seem to have a slightly larger reproducer which is secured to the carrier by a thumbscrew and whose horn-tube is parallel to the diaphragm housing. Is this a later type? I have not been able to find much information about the reproducers on cylinder Graphophones.
Oliver Mundy.
The early version of the Q, with the stamped metal base, used the smaller push-on reproducer with the slanted top surface. The later version of the Q, with black painted cast iron base, used the larger reproducer with the thumbscrew. The larger reproducer was an improvement since it sounded quite a bit better, and I'd think owners of many of the early Q machines might have upgraded with the newer reproducer many years ago.

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

phono-farm wrote:
Menophanes wrote:I notice that Phono-farm's machine has the same reproducer as mine: small, with an aluminium body which simply pushes onto the carrier and a horn-tube that meets the diaphragm housing at an angle. By contrast, many Qs (and other Columbia models) seem to have a slightly larger reproducer which is secured to the carrier by a thumbscrew and whose horn-tube is parallel to the diaphragm housing. Is this a later type? I have not been able to find much information about the reproducers on cylinder Graphophones.
Oliver Mundy.
The early version of the Q, with the stamped metal base, used the smaller push-on reproducer with the slanted top surface. The later version of the Q, with black painted cast iron base, used the larger reproducer with the thumbscrew. The larger reproducer was an improvement since it sounded quite a bit better, and I'd think owners of many of the early Q machines might have upgraded with the newer reproducer many years ago.
I'd have to agree. When the larger reproducer was offered around 1901, I'm sure many people would've acted on the trade-in policy I seem to recall reading of, somewhere - I believe in a catalog, but I can't locate which one currently.

Best,
Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.