"Magic Brain" Victrola didn't sell on Ebay

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
barnettrp21122
Victor IV
Personal Text: "Did you ever stop to think that pleasure is a duty?" (Victor sales pamphlet)

"Magic Brain" Victrola didn't sell on Ebay

Post by barnettrp21122 »

Now that the listing is ended, I found it interesting no-one bid on this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... K:MEWAX:IT

Bob
Last edited by barnettrp21122 on Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Comparison is the thief of joy" Theodore Roosevelt

His Master's Voice Automatic 1A Exponential Gramophone Demonstration:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi70G1Rzqpo

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Re: "Magin Brain" Victrola didn't sell on Ebay

Post by phonogfp »

I think sellers make a mistake when offering a large, heavy item while specifying "Local Pickup Only" without including the city and state where the item is located. "Greater Midwest?" That's not terribly helpful. It's likely that only a seriously interested buyer would take the trouble to contact the seller to see if local pickup is feasible.

On the other hand, a marginally interested potential buyer could have discovered that the item was nearby if only the seller had included a city/state. In that case, the mildly interested buyer might have entered a bid, or at least contacted the seller after the auction closes. The seller seems oblivious to the fact that LOCATION could be critical to selling that beast.

George P.

phonophan79
Victor IV

Re: "Magin Brain" Victrola didn't sell on Ebay

Post by phonophan79 »

phonogfp wrote:I think sellers make a mistake when offering a large, heavy item while specifying "Local Pickup Only" without including the city and state where the item is located. "Greater Midwest?" That's not terribly helpful.
I agree. I can't stand when I go to find the item location only to see "ANYWHERE, USA" or something of that nature.

Also, this seller specifically did not do it... but there is a big abuse in the eBay phono world listing "Free Shipping" as what is really only "local pick-up". The two are not the same.

bbphonoguy
Victor III

Re: "Magic Brain" Victrola didn't sell on Ebay

Post by bbphonoguy »

Part of the problem with selling something like this at this time of year is that people are spending money on gifts. Unless someone on your list asked for a Magic Brain RCA Victrola, I can't imagine folks spending the money on this, or the time to go and get it, when lots of people are busy with the holidays.