Introduction - newbie Victrola owner

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Milo Bloom
Victor Jr

Introduction - newbie Victrola owner

Post by Milo Bloom »

Hello everyone,

I've somewhat unexpectedly found myself the new owner today of a Victrola that I found locally on Craigslist for $80. Just going off the plate pictured here, it's listed as a VV-XI with a serial number that appears to date it to 1921. The only description I received is that it "Works but runs slow. Needs spring drum cleaned, old dry grease probable cause."

Just wondering if anyone has any more info on what I have here and what my first steps should be as far as evaluating it, etc... if there are any good websites out there, parts sources, things like that.

Thanks in advance!
Attachments
00K0K_1o2WjMmW0c6_1200x900.jpg
00505_dfUYFc4XRYY_1200x900.jpg
00C0C_hEzEnXeqt07_1200x900.jpg
00n0n_dBrNvqzoMkx_1200x900.jpg

GregVTLA
Victor III
Personal Text: Greg

Re: Introduction - newbie Victrola owner

Post by GregVTLA »

Well - mighty nice Victrola you've got there! I'd clean up great with Goop hand cleaner (the white tub - no pumice) and Howard's Restor-a-finish. The Victrola XI is one of the best selling models, and is of high quality like all Victor products. If you'd like to learn more about your machine, try http://www.victor-victrola.com/XI.htm

Try the machine with a record - if the motor runs too slow adjust the speed control, if that does not correct it then you may need a governor adjustment, something others could explain as I have yet to attempt this.

If the motor slows when you put down the needle, you may need to re-grease the springs. I've done it twice before, and I've never had trouble, but many forum members have had horror stories revolving around the strength of the springs. Exercise caution when doing this, with gloves and long sleeves. Clean the springs and barrel, and then return the springs with fresh grease. That'll correct it. In terms of playing quality, you should rebuild the reproducer. This is an easy process that requires disassembling the reproducer (device which holds the needle) and replacing the gaskets. You can find these on eBay.

I'd exercise caution, however. Victrolas and other phonographs are like the strongest of drugs. Once you get one, you'll get another, and another, and another :lol:... I own 6 machines and over a hundred records. I collected this in 6 months. That's all. I've enjoyed every second of it, but now I regularly check craigslist and Facebook market. It's an addiction for sure, but one guaranteed to provide joy in restoring and playing machines. I especially like saving machines headed for uncertain doom, and guaranteeing them a future by repairing the defects that put them on the curb.

Welcome to the hobby!
Greg

welshfield
Victor II

Post by welshfield »

Before you play any records, you need a supply of new needles. You use one needle per play and then throw it away,. Needles are cheap and readily available on ebay or elsewhere on the internet. Go slowly with restoring this machine and you will be very happy.
John

EdiBrunsVic
Victor IV

Post by EdiBrunsVic »

Do you have records for it? In what area are you located?

Yes, John is right so get some new needles.

Milo Bloom
Victor Jr

Post by Milo Bloom »

I have a dozen or so records that I'm pretty sure ended up coming into my house via my father-in-law, but I have no idea where he might have gotten them.
IMG_6288.jpg
IMG_6288.jpg (61.38 KiB) Viewed 2936 times
IMG_6289.jpg
IMG_6289.jpg (79.25 KiB) Viewed 2936 times
I have two of these folders. This is the one in better shape of the two and is not written in. The other one has writing and is a little more beat up.

These are some of the records. There are a lot of fox trots for some reason. Someone must have liked to fox trot.

There are no records related to the Ed Sullivan ad... just a neat piece.
Attachments
IMG_6293.jpg
IMG_6293.jpg (106.24 KiB) Viewed 2936 times
IMG_6292.jpg
IMG_6292.jpg (76.75 KiB) Viewed 2936 times
IMG_6291.jpg
IMG_6291.jpg (92.18 KiB) Viewed 2936 times
IMG_6290.jpg
IMG_6290.jpg (65.9 KiB) Viewed 2936 times

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

Milo Bloom wrote: These are some of the records. There are a lot of fox trots for some reason. Someone must have liked to fox trot.
Fox trots usually mean jazz or dance band music.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Welcome! ...And that looks like a nice XI.

There are some very helpful articles for newbies on the Antique Phonograph Society web site under "Articles/Introductory."

https://www.antiquephono.org/

This one is especially useful:

https://www.antiquephono.org/basic-anti ... onal-tips/

Best of luck, and have fun!

George P.

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

If you're leery about servicing the mainsprings, there are a number of folks in the Resources section of the Forum who will remove, clean, regrease, and replace them for very reasonable cost.

The rest of the motor is fairly simple, and should only need cleaning and relubricating. Rebuilding the reproducer is not too difficult, either. Enjoy!

Bill

audiophile102
Victor IV
Personal Text: Say to yourself I am so happy hurray!

Post by audiophile102 »

Lucius1958 wrote:If you're leery about servicing the mainsprings, there are a number of folks in the Resources section of the Forum who will remove, clean, regrease, and replace them for very reasonable cost.

The rest of the motor is fairly simple, and should only need cleaning and relubricating. Rebuilding the reproducer is not too difficult, either. Enjoy!

Bill
Very good advise. Spring servicing is something left to experienced hands. Here is a You Tube video which will give you an idea how hard it is.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEkUpM-yykM[/youtube]
"You can't take the phonographs nor the money with you, but the contentment the phonographs bring may well make your life better, and happier lives make the world a better place."

Milo Bloom
Victor Jr

Post by Milo Bloom »

Thanks everyone for all the info and tips. I'm hoping to get it into my basement today and start looking at it a little further.