Introduction - newbie Victrola owner

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Re: Introduction - newbie Victrola owner

Post by phonogfp »

For years I removed, cleaned, re-greased, and replaced my own mainsprings. Then I learned that Ron Sitko charges only $15 to do that on top of the price of a new mainspring. For the past 5 years or so, I just send Ron my spring barrel with the old mainspring still inside, and a week later I get it back with a new mainspring - all set to install. Fifteen extra bucks well spent! :)

George P.

Milo Bloom
Victor Jr

Post by Milo Bloom »

phonogfp wrote:For years I removed, cleaned, re-greased, and replaced my own mainsprings. Then I learned that Ron Sitko charges only $15 to do that on top of the price of a new mainspring. For the past 5 years or so, I just send Ron my spring barrel with the old mainspring still inside, and a week later I get it back with a new mainspring - all set to install. Fifteen extra bucks well spent! :)

George P.
Thanks for that tip... how do I reach Ron?

Also, can someone confirm that this is the motor I should have?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6R9i7zp-v9s

EdiBrunsVic
Victor IV

Post by EdiBrunsVic »

Ron Sitko's contact information: (518) 371-8549 He is usually available after 7 PM.

PM sent with added information.

drh
Victor IV
Personal Text: A Pathé record...with care will live to speak to your grandchildren when they are as old as you are

Post by drh »

Milo Bloom wrote:I have a dozen or so records that I'm pretty sure ended up coming into my house via my father-in-law, but I have no idea where he might have gotten them.
IMG_6288.jpg
IMG_6289.jpg
I have two of these folders. This is the one in better shape of the two and is not written in. The other one has writing and is a little more beat up.

These are some of the records. There are a lot of fox trots for some reason. Someone must have liked to fox trot.

There are no records related to the Ed Sullivan ad... just a neat piece.
The fox trot was the big dance craze of the post-World War I period, and they were the staples of every company's catalogue at the time--or, at least, of every company that didn't specialize in other types of music, such as religious or ethnic of one sort or another.

The Alma Gluck and Paul Whiteman records are "right" for the period of the machine--acoustic (i.e., pre-microphone) recordings that would have been on the market around the time it was made. The Toscanini is much later, from some time in the '40s, part of an electrically recorded set. While you certainly can play it on your Victrola, it may well not sound all that great (too strongly recorded, too much bass for the reproducer to handle comfortably, etc.), and it will likely suffer more wear from playing (by that point, records were formulated for somewhat lighter-tracking electric pickups, "somewhat lighter-tracking" being very relative, as by modern standards they still were anvils!). One other thing to have done besides servicing the motor is to have the reproducer "rebuilt," which is to say at a minimum have the gasket tubing around the diaphragm replaced, another routine and inexpensive bit of maintenance. The old natural rubber almost certainly will have hardened with age, and once that happens the sound will be blasty and harsh. The diaphragm needs to ride on nicely elastic tubes to yield the quite lovely sound it was designed to.

Back to the Toscanini for a minute, as noted, that's part of a set, splitting up a complete long work, here Tchaikowsky's first piano concerto, into successive segments, each playing about 4 minutes, the most music a 12-inch 78 record of the day could hold. Play them in order, you get the entire long piece with a break at the end of each side. You should have that and three other companion records. See that little "M 800 1" notation at about 9:00 on the label? That means it was from Victor's red seal classical set no. 800, manual sequence (automatic sequence would be DM for drop changers or AM for slide-off changers, although I think by that point AM coupling was no longer being done), side 1. From there, pairings on each physical record would be 1-2, 3-4, 5-6, 7-8; play the first side, flip the record, play the second side, substitute the second record, play its first side (side 3 of the set), etc. In a DM set, they would be 1-8, 2-7, 3-6, 4-5 so you could just flip the stack over after playing the first 4 records. AM couplings would be 1-5, 2-6, 3-7, 4-8.

Incidentally, I've read in an article by one of the big-name critics of the day that at a concert with this concerto on the program, you could count on it that at a certain point about 4 minutes in a big part of the audience would start to stand up. That was where the first side break fell in Artur Rubinstein's universally popular recording of the piece.

As others have noted, the Victrola XI was a strong seller and isn't particularly rare today, but $80 for one in nice shape like that, mechanically sound with original finish that can be restored rather than being messed up beyond repair, is a steal. Well done! Congrats, and welcome to the wonderful, wacky world of antique records and phonos!

RolandVV-360
Victor II
Personal Text: The Finest Gift of All!

Post by RolandVV-360 »

Not to pick cherries from a newbie, but I've been looking for a copy of Paul Whiteman's "Eliza" for quite some time! Would you be interested in selling/trading?

Thanks,
Roland
PHONOGRAPH, n. An irritating toy that restores life to dead noises. -Ambrose Bierce

-Roland

Milo Bloom
Victor Jr

Post by Milo Bloom »

RolandVV-360 wrote:Not to pick cherries from a newbie, but I've been looking for a copy of Paul Whiteman's "Eliza" for quite some time! Would you be interested in selling/trading?

Thanks,
Roland
Sure, would be happy to.

arthurmacie
Victor O

Post by arthurmacie »

Welcome to the group. I agree with earlier comments about this being an addiction. I started last Fall, and now have 5 nice running machines

Victor X Floor Model
VIctor XI Floor Model
Aeolian EE Table Top
Pathé Frères X Floor Model (Quarter Sawn Oak)
Aretino Front Mount

If I don't stop soon, my wife will get rid of me and keep the machines. :lol:

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

In case you need it:

Victrola VV-XI Owner's Manual -- (click on the thumbnail images to make them full size for viewing/printing) --

https://www.nipperhead.com/old/vicxi.htm

HTH,
OrthoFan

rvwenger
Victor I

Post by rvwenger »

Welcome to the world of Victrolas. There are many brands and many of us collect them. I myself stick with the victor brand. Your XI is a Victrola. The external horn t(the one on the left in this forums logo) is a Victor. There are many books available to help you with ownership. My favorite is "Look for the Dog, an illustrated guide to Victor Talking Machines. Also "The Victor data book". Both of these are written by Robert Baumbach. ( www.mulhollandpress.com ).
Records are another great thing to collect and enjoy. Yes there are differences in what records play on what. This can be a very lengthy topic. Rest assure with what you have , you have a great start. Most records you find should be around a $1.

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

Congratulations on you first Victrola. It should clean up nice. Parts are easy to find. This is a good entry level machine, and the price was right. These machines are great work horses to play and enjoy your records.
Harvey Kravitz