Question about my Edison home model B...

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Question about my Edison home model B...

Post by AmberolaAndy »

Last week I acquired an Edison home model B (my first 2/4 minute machine yay!) and I was wondering when was my machine manufactured? The serial number on it is #327494 so i'm thinking 1908 or maybe 1909? But I really don't know. When did Edison stop making the model B home in favor of the model D? (or C) Or were they manufactured together for awhile? Just wondering. Thanks!

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Re: Question about my Edison home model B...

Post by phonogfp »

Known Edison sales records stop after May 1908, and your number is well beyond that. I'd estimate late 1908 or very early 1909. The Model B Home was manufactured and sold concurrently with the Model C (New York State only) and the Model D (factory 2 & 4 minute). I've seen a Model B Home with the gold and blue decorations typically seen on the Model D and later Homes, so they were certainly being manufactured in 1909 - possibly even into 1910. (According to George Frow in The Edison Cylinder Phonograph Companion, page 92, 1994 Edition, the factory schedule for January 30, 1909 included 150 Model B Homes in stock, 100 in the test department, and sufficient parts to manufacture 1000 more.)

George P.
Last edited by phonogfp on Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

phonogfp wrote:Known Edison sales records stop after May 1908, and your number is well beyond that. I'd estimate late 1908 or very early 1909. The Model B Home was manufactured and sold concurrently with the Model C (New York State only) and the Model D (factory 2 7 4 minute). I've seen a Model B Home with the gold and blue decorations typically seen on the Model D and later Homes, so they were certainly being manufactured in 1909 - possibly even into 1910. (According to George Frow in The Edison Cylinder Phonograph Companion, page 92, 1994 Edition, the factory schedule for January 30, 1909 included 150 Model B Homes in stock, 100 in the test department, and sufficient parts to manufacture 1000 more.)

George P.
Interesting! Thanks for the info I really appreciate it! Now when I show it to somebody and if they ask me what year it's from, i'll just say "1909." Once again thanks! :)

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

You're very welcome! :)

George P.

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

Ok now another quick question...My machine came with a morning glory horn and stand but no chain to connect them. What kind of chain will I need?

tomb
Victor IV

Post by tomb »

Congratulates on your home B. It takes a linked chain you can buy at Lowes or Home Depot. I will enclose a picture but it is not the best Tom B
Attachments
IMG_1314.JPG

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

tomb wrote:Congratulates on your home B. It takes a linked chain you can buy at Lowes or Home Depot. I will enclose a picture but it is not the best Tom B
Ok! Thank you very much! Now all I need is a Model C reproducer to play the two minute cylinders (machine already came with a Model H) and the witches hat horn to show up from eBay...and i'm all set! (Well I'll probably need to get the reproducers rebuilt with new gaskets first...and a recorder to make my own records would be nice too...)

Funny thing is I don't think the original owner ever played it in the 2 minute mode. Because the 4 minute mode is a little noisy (but not horrible) but when I put it in 2 minute mode the noise goes away and it runs pretty quiet.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special

Post by phonogfp »

AmberolaAndy wrote:
Funny thing is I don't think the original owner ever played it in the 2 minute mode. Because the 4 minute mode is a little noisy (but not horrible) but when I put it in 2 minute mode the noise goes away and it runs pretty quiet.
That's pretty typical. In the 4 minute mode, the extra gearing in the pulley is engaged. There's a small planetary gear that really travels, so be sure it has been lubricated with a quality light oil (sewing machine oil is fine). No Three-In-One!

George P.

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

phonogfp wrote:
AmberolaAndy wrote:
That's pretty typical. In the 4 minute mode, the extra gearing in the pulley is engaged. There's a small planetary gear that really travels, so be sure it has been lubricated with a quality light oil (sewing machine oil is fine). No Three-In-One!

George P.

Yup! 3-in-1 has sticky stuff in it that's bad for machines. I make sure to oil my machines with singer oil once every month.

Wes K
Victor I

Post by Wes K »

3-in-1 oil is ok if you get the oil in the blue bottles and not the red. It will be marked for motors and is SAE 20.
The household oil in the red bottles will gum.