Question about my Edison home model B...

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
tomb
Victor IV

Re: Question about my Edison home model B...

Post by tomb »

If you want the better oil you can use gun oil that can be brought at Walmart fairly reasonable. It works well on Edison's and you do not need much. I was working on an Amberola VIII and it had a dragging sound. I tried adjusting the speed control, adjusted the ½ nut tension, and tried three reproducers. The sound was still wavy or dragging. I wiped the carriage bar off taking all the old gunky oil on it off and it played fine. Put new oil and it sounds great now. I use a synthetic oil that I brought on EBay. When I run out I will be off to Walmart. Tom

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Re: Question about my Edison home model B...

Post by AmberolaAndy »

tomb wrote:If you want the better oil you can use gun oil that can be brought at Walmart fairly reasonable. It works well on Edison's and you do not need much. I was working on an Amberola VIII and it had a dragging sound. I tried adjusting the speed control, adjusted the ½ nut tension, and tried three reproducers. The sound was still wavy or dragging. I wiped the carriage bar off taking all the old gunky oil on it off and it played fine. Put new oil and it sounds great now. I use a synthetic oil that I brought on EBay. When I run out I will be off to Walmart. Tom
Thanks for the suggestion and good to hear you got your Amberola working.