question on off brand machine

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
drh
Victor IV
Personal Text: A Pathé record...with care will live to speak to your grandchildren when they are as old as you are

Re: question on off brand machine

Post by drh »

78recordpicker wrote:Thanks OrthoFan! Fantastic info. I'll have to give a try to play a Pathé to see how the tone arm plays verticals. I did buy it. Here it is:
Quite a nice looking machine! If you plan to play a Pathé, please first get a sapphire ball stylus. If you play a Pathé vertical cut (or one of the Pathé system imitators, like Rex or Rishell) with a steel needle, you'll destroy it. Same story for Edison diamond discs. There were some steel needle type vertical records, but they tend to be hard to find. If you're just curious about vertical cut, and not too particular about the music, I think a couple of modestly priced Lyric records are on eBay right now. OKeh and Aeolian Vocalion verticals were also needle cut, but they seldom turn up; the corresponding laterals are what you'll normally find, and when you do see them the verticals tend to be pricey.

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

drh wrote:
78recordpicker wrote:Thanks OrthoFan! Fantastic info. I'll have to give a try to play a Pathé to see how the tone arm plays verticals. I did buy it. Here it is:
Quite a nice looking machine! If you plan to play a Pathé, please first get a sapphire ball stylus. If you play a Pathé vertical cut (or one of the Pathé system imitators, like Rex or Rishell) with a steel needle, you'll destroy it. Same story for Edison diamond discs. There were some steel needle type vertical records, but they tend to be hard to find. If you're just curious about vertical cut, and not too particular about the music, I think a couple of modestly priced Lyric records are on eBay right now. OKeh and Aeolian Vocalion verticals were also needle cut, but they seldom turn up; the corresponding laterals are what you'll normally find, and when you do see them the verticals tend to be pricey.
The last time I tried to play an OKeh vertical with a steel needle (with an adaptor on my C250), I saw the grooves getting damaged as it started to play. I don't know whether there is some problem with the adaptor in vertical mode, or what...

Bill

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

Lucius1958 wrote:
The last time I tried to play an OKeh vertical with a steel needle (with an adaptor on my C250), I saw the grooves getting damaged as it started to play. I don't know whether there is some problem with the adaptor in vertical mode, or what...

Bill
My okeh verticals play well with steel needles, you might have had an alignment problem