Sand pot metal?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
GregVTLA
Victor III
Personal Text: Greg

Sand pot metal?

Post by GregVTLA »

I was wondering, has anyone tried sanding pot metal parts? I have a radio switch valve from my 7-25X that’s so stuck up it could hardly move. This is due to the pot metal expanding. Is this something that can be sanded, or are there any other methods of getting this valve unstuck?

EdiBrunsVic
Victor IV

Re: Sand pot metal?

Post by EdiBrunsVic »

If possible expose the part to cold air, perhaps in a refrigerator. Others may have ideas too.

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

I have successfully used emery paper to make Columbia and Pathé pot metal tonearm joints usable. It was a case of do a little, then test, repeat as needed.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

Sanding pot metal definitely works... use fine sandpaper or emory cloth.
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

EarlH
Victor III

Post by EarlH »

Do you have a picture of your valve? I have one around here somewhere that I can hunt up that's working and I don't have any use for it, but It's out of a 7-3 and I'm not sure if they are the same.

GregVTLA
Victor III

Post by GregVTLA »

This is the valve, it’s from a VV 7-25. As I recall this valve is a bit taller than the 7-3 but I could be wrong. I’m just going to use this with a small portable speaker so it isn’t really crucial. My radio is MIA.
Attachments
FD7CA210-420D-4F17-AFD1-2FA7C253427E.jpeg

EarlH
Victor III

Post by EarlH »

I will do some digging around and see where I put that thing I have, it sure looks a lot like it's the way I remember it. A Radiola 18 wouldn't be hard to hunt up for that machine. Victor must have used a horn driver on that machine, like the 7-3 and then the machine is just acoustic. The machine you have is nice looking, but they don't turn up very often. I've only seen one over the years. Up north of Minneapolis the 7-3's and 7-30's must have sold in large numbers as I've seen a couple dozen of those things up there and bought a few as well. That's where this valve would have come from. I bought an Alhambra up there a couple of years ago that had batteries in it for the Radiola 20 that had 1951 expiration dates on them! They must not have gotten AC power up there until after the war. I don't know why a Radiola 60 wouldn't fit into your cabinet either, it seems like the chassis is about the same size. Those horn drivers sound surprisingly good that Victor used, but they had the same diaphragm as the orthophonic reproducer in them.

Kirkwood
Victor II

Post by Kirkwood »

Somebody else years ago had the same idea---change out the radio for the Radiola 60. Some years ago I got my 7-25X off of eBay and it has the 60 installed as a later upgrade. I think the Radiola 60 was thought of as a better performer. No idea why they felt the need to paint the case glossy black and the metal Radiola bezels (and the grille cloth!) metallic gold. This poor thing is waiting for me to retire and tackle the restoration work.
Attachments
VE7-25Asis02.jpg
VE7-25Asis02.jpg (96.4 KiB) Viewed 1791 times

GregVTLA
Victor III

Post by GregVTLA »

Ouch! That poor machine! I hope you fix it up, it's a beautiful machine in nice condition. This model really showcases the blended finishes that Victor used.
Attachments
IMG_0390.JPG

Kirkwood
Victor II

Post by Kirkwood »

Thanks for the good clear photo, Greg. Now I know what to aim for when I get busy on mine, and it's bound to be interesting to see how near the Victor finish I can get. Guess I'll have to stick a crowbar in my wallet to pry out a few bills and buy some good airbrush equipment so I can do those shading effects. On mine the top 2 layers of veneer have long ago parted ways with the lid, so I'll have to redo that. Naturally, by the time I'm done I'll have more invested in this than it's ever going to be worth. Just can't bring myself to part it out and junk the case.
Attachments
VE7-25Asis01.jpg
VE7-25Asis01.jpg (90.18 KiB) Viewed 1711 times