Standard Model A Disc machine question about bottom stamp

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
vansteem78
Victor II

Standard Model A Disc machine question about bottom stamp

Post by vansteem78 »

A stamp is on the bottom of my model A Standard disc phonograph made by Columbia in Bridgeport. I see the word Bridgeport on the bottom but it's the letters on top that intrigued me. Does anyone know with any certainty what B.M.O. Co stands for? Thanks in advance for your help. I also can read I think Sept 25, 1909. So just the letters interest me but any knowledge is good.
Attachments
standard 004.jpg
standard 004.jpg (122.9 KiB) Viewed 4404 times
Standard A inside 001.jpg
Standard A inside 001.jpg (121.56 KiB) Viewed 4404 times

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Re: Standard Model A Disc machine question about bottom stam

Post by phonogfp »

The only possibility I've found is Bridgeport Metal Goods Company (and only if that "O" is really a "G"). It may have been subcontracted by American Graphophone (Columbia) to manufacture Standards. The company was founded in 1906, so the chronology would work. You can read about the company here:

http://www.bridgeporthistory.org/News.aspx

...Or here:

Bridgeport Metal Goods
Specialized metal goods maker - Bridgeport Metal Goods was founded in 1906 by a former Bridgeport Brass employee as a small, independent firm that produced a variety of specialized metal goods in low volume, instead of manufacturing a large volume of just one or two products. The company motto was to remain focused on maintaining its adaptability to market demands by being able to produce a variety of items. By 1959, Bridgeport Metal Goods employed 420 workers and sold ca. $5,000,000 of goods annually. The mainstay products were flashlights and cosmetic items such as lipstick cases and compacts. During WWI, WWII, and the Korean War, the company manufactured carbine magazines, signal lights, life preserver belts, and bullets. Company founder Anker S. Lyhne was a Danish immigrant who believed strongly in establishing good company-employee relations. The administrative office was constructed in an open style without walls and doors to promote a sense of unity and ease of communication between workers. Bridgeport Metal Goods instituted paid vacations and insurance benefits as early as the 1920's.

George P.