1914 Victor Proof Ads?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
PHONOMIKE
Victor III

1914 Victor Proof Ads?

Post by PHONOMIKE »

I bought a lot of things at an auction last year and I've been going through them. Mostly the usual and common phono stuff. I came across this Victor proof sheet from April 1914.

I've been searching the internet (google) and haven't found anything at all similar to this. It's a proof for a newspaper but doesn't say which paper. The paper isn't typical newsprint but has a bit of a shine to it. A small tear in the top left ad but otherwise it's in great condition.

So my question is has anyone seen anything like this before? Like I said above I searched and cannot find anything like this. Does anyone have any additional information they can give me on it?

I've put it in a plastic protector as I'm not sure what to do with it. A poster maybe?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Mike
Attachments
poster1.jpg

Roaring20s
Victor V
Personal Text: Those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who could not hear the music. Nietzsche

Re: 1914 Victor Proof Ads?

Post by Roaring20s »

Mike, lets pretend you are a phonograph store owner. Victor is helping you sell your Victor stock by supplying professionally created base ads, to build your own ad around. You just need to contact your newspaper's advertising department and plan your ad with them.

Here is an example of it in use...
Screen Shot 2018-01-11 at 10.32.29 PM.png
James.

need4art
Victor II
Personal Text: A man is not a man who does not make the world a better place

Post by need4art »

In the trade those are called "tear sheets" as you simply tore out the section you wanted and gave it to your printer or advertising person. And yes you could "cut" them out.

That's what 40 years in a retail business teaches ya!

Roaring20s
Victor V
Personal Text: Those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who could not hear the music. Nietzsche

Post by Roaring20s »

Abe, as former paste-up artist, I think this would fall into the catagory of clip-art.
I would cut and paste the ad together with actual scissors and rubber cement.
As a retailer, the tear sheet you are familiar with is the finished product that you would receive as proof of the complete ad.
That page would be torn from the publication and mailed to you.
Wow, some of you might think this archaic!

Reminds me of...
Screen Shot 2018-01-12 at 10.33.18 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-01-12 at 10.33.18 PM.png (173.63 KiB) Viewed 956 times
:lol:
James.

PS: The Victor proof originally posted does state that it will be placed into publications on specific dates (presumably on its own) and may have been simply part of Victor's marketing that you could expand upon.

PHONOMIKE
Victor III

Post by PHONOMIKE »

This all makes sense to me. Now I understand better thanks to the knowledgeable people here.

So can anyone help with this? Are these popular? Anyone else ever come across one of these?

Mike