Starting the restoration on the $25 Brunswick YO

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Starting the restoration on the $25 Brunswick YO

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Like the title says, my Craigslist Special is down in the basement on a furniture dolly, and I am getting ready to start stripping off the polyurethane and making it into a good machine again. Someone has mentioned Mohawk for being a good finish for the phonographs of the 1920s and I don't know how to do the finishing.

The idea is to go as authentic as possible. This machine is going to be entirely stripped, as the finish is poly and there isn't even the original decal inside. (Gregg Cline is a lifesaver.) I know it's brown mahogany but what should I do to get that "look?"

A 1910s machine is high-gloss French polished shellac. I know that, and it looks wonderful, but it's not the appropriate finish for this machine. I saw an Orthophonic Victrola cabinet model in an antique store a month ago and it had a whole different look to it, a varnishy, old-guitar look, and I liked it too! Any hints on how to pull that look off without the whole eye of newt experience of brewing a century-old finish?

Thanks.

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Re: Starting the restoration on the $25 Brunswick YO

Post by gramophone-georg »

I'm a huge fan of Deft satin clear lacquer. It's very versatile and can be tinted.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

EdiBrunsVic
Victor IV

Post by EdiBrunsVic »

I am glad to read that you are undertaking this project. The Brunswick York model was part of my collection for many years. Since beginning the hobby while in high school, I have owned two of them. They are built well, sound good, and look nice. Keep us posted on this worthy undertaking.

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Update 2. Got the back and two sides stripped along with part of the front. I can't figure out how to remove the door (one fell off but the other's still on) and I don't know how yet I want to put the legs on.

The idea of a museum-quality restoration on this rather badly battered, low-value phonograph is still Plan A. I prefer all my machines in nice condition but sometimes one must adapt and overcome.

Thanks for the updates on the lacquer. I wish I had some pictures of it but the machine looks pretty well wrecked anyway, so picture all the machines you passed up and there's your phonograph.

I don't know if the spring is broken--the motor does play, but it winds and winds without winding all the way up.

Guess I'll keep tinkering on it.

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Update 3--

Pulled the needle cups, data plate, lid hinge, lid supports, and tonearm base out, then stripped the top. The Watco finisher must sit for a good long time and go on thick before it does much good. I'm going to say I did find a joyful bit of news--

Lots of folks say that the Brunswick lid supports are a pain. Take a screwdriver & adjust the tension of the largest screw in the metal plate from which the lid support rises. It's attached to the cantilevers inside and should strengthen things up considerably.

With a few more supplies the Brunswick ought to turn out nicely.

EdiBrunsVic
Victor IV

Post by EdiBrunsVic »

It is good to read your updates. Keep up the great effort.
Don

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Deft Brushing Lacquer is on the way! The Brunswick is going to totally rise from the dead.

gramophone-georg
Victor VI

VanEpsFan1914 wrote:Deft Brushing Lacquer is on the way! The Brunswick is going to totally rise from the dead.
Make sure you have plenty of ventilation. The stuff is noxious and probably causes cancer... so you know it's good!

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Right!

PS Got the cylinders today & "Aida" March is finishing up on the Edison. I never thought the old Amberola econo-boxes could sound so good! Thanks again.

gramophone-georg
Victor VI

VanEpsFan1914 wrote:Right!

PS Got the cylinders today & "Aida" March is finishing up on the Edison. I never thought the old Amberola econo-boxes could sound so good! Thanks again.
Some of those need reamed. I don't have a reamer anymore.