Starting the restoration on the $25 Brunswick YO

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Re: Starting the restoration on the $25 Brunswick YO

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

And here is the last update.

The 1922 Brunswick York, in return for ninety-six years of fidelity, received an honorable Catholic funeral in consecrated ground. It died of natural causes due to mainspring failure. Efforts of technicians to save the phonograph were interrupted due to the explosion of the No. 2 spring. In pace requiescat. Currently it lies in the crypt (or the sub-basement, more like,) of the seminary.

I was a Catholic seminarian but homeschooling, low emotional maturity (and general klutziness), and so forth led to me unexpectedly being asked to withdraw from the program of priestly formation. Yet there is a very strong possibility I shall return, so I gave the old machine to my best friend--he thinks I am returning, and if/when I do I shall replace the spring, and we shall drink strong Irish beers and blast 1920s foxtrots at full volume on that old spruce horn.

I now sell auto parts full time, the Brunswick's still a wreck but a very beautiful, much polished, reassembled wreck, and I'm building character and hopefully they say I can go back. Hey, that's why Catholics say Rosaries all the time, right!!

travisgreyfox
Victor IV

Post by travisgreyfox »

Sorry to hear the news friend. On the bright side, at least you have more time to devout to our wonderful hobby.

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

VanEpsFan1914 wrote:And here is the last update.

The 1922 Brunswick York, in return for ninety-six years of fidelity, received an honorable Catholic funeral in consecrated ground. It died of natural causes due to mainspring failure. Efforts of technicians to save the phonograph were interrupted due to the explosion of the No. 2 spring. In pace requiescat. Currently it lies in the crypt (or the sub-basement, more like,) of the seminary.

I was a Catholic seminarian but homeschooling, low emotional maturity (and general klutziness), and so forth led to me unexpectedly being asked to withdraw from the program of priestly formation. Yet there is a very strong possibility I shall return, so I gave the old machine to my best friend--he thinks I am returning, and if/when I do I shall replace the spring, and we shall drink strong Irish beers and blast 1920s foxtrots at full volume on that old spruce horn.

I now sell auto parts full time, the Brunswick's still a wreck but a very beautiful, much polished, reassembled wreck, and I'm building character and hopefully they say I can go back. Hey, that's why Catholics say Rosaries all the time, right!!
Everything's for a reason. Maybe you just aren't ready, or maybe there is another mission/ purpose for you. Just remember that no matter what trials life puts you through I'll bet the Cross was way the hell worse. Always remember to pause and give thanks for what you have rather than being upset for what you do not have. That goes for collecting as well.

Apologies to our non religious readers. ;)
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

Jwb88
Victor II

Post by Jwb88 »

Progress in many ways. :)

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

VanEpsFan1914 wrote:And here is the last update.

At rest, in the hopes of a glorious resurrection...

Bill

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

LOL!

Well, that's the fact. I do hope to go back but really I wasn't ready. Currently I've been jamming out though and working through one day at a time. Good stuff.