I ended up feeling sorry for that VV-360 in Michigan.

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
GregVTLA
Victor III
Personal Text: Greg

Re: I ended up feeling sorry for that VV-360 in Michigan.

Post by GregVTLA »

JerryVan wrote:
GregVTLA wrote:Good luck on this one! There's unfortunately not much left, but It's still savable. You'll most likely need to make a new motor board and fit a different motor, since the machine is so scarce. Can't wait to see it done though!
Was the motor not there? What's so unique about the motor in this model?
I didn't see the motor in the picture, but I could be wrong. I was most likely mistaken about the unique motor, the OP would just have to find a 4 spring with the winding key in the proper place. I was under the impression that many models contained unique motors, however that is not the case. Taking a look at the Victor Motor Guide, there were only about 16 total types. Whoops :shock:

EarlH
Victor III

Post by EarlH »

The whole machine is there. I took it apart somewhat to get the thing out and into my truck. The motor is just the usual 4 spring motor that Victor used through the 20's. And I finished taking it all apart before I brought it down to the basement. The doors didn't want to open and shut properly and one of the hinges was broken, so I figured I'd better just get it apart so I could clamp the doors down to get the flattened out, and start getting all the veneer off the thing so I can figure out what I need to do from there.

The worst part about these modern veneers is that they are so thin, and they used relatively thick veneers back in the 20's yet. Some of the two-ply veneers aren't as thick as the poplar crossbanding that's on this machine. I've gotten into that before, so I'll have to glue face veneer to the two-ply veneer and then the three layers is about the same as two was when this thing was made.

Below is a picture from his craigslist ad.
Attachments
VV-360 a.jpg

pughphonos
Victor III
Personal Text: Ms. Pugh

Post by pughphonos »

Earl, just wanted to congratulate you on this project--but above all for the HEART you show in everything you do--every commitment you make. I will never forget all the helpful advice you gave me when I bought my Lyon & Healy reproducing studio grand piano a couple years ago. She still has her challenges, but with the help of Jerry Biasella (sp?) I'm making progress.

Ralph
"You must serve music, because music is so enormous and can envelop you into such a state of perpetual anxiety and torture--but it is our first and main duty"
-- Maria Callas, 1968 interview.

GregVTLA
Victor III
Personal Text: Greg

Post by GregVTLA »

Wow, that picture makes it look a hundred times better than the first image! I'd thought you had a gutted ruined cabinet, but it's a lot closer than I thought. Good luck and I hope to see it when it's done!