Quick governor question

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
EdisonWizard
Victor III

Quick governor question

Post by EdisonWizard »

When I purchased my triumph, the owner was nice enough to include new replacement governor weights. Been thinking of replacing, as I’m starting to hear a little wobble every now and then. Not a big deal honestly, but I have them...why not change them. Is there anything special I need to do or run it down completely before changing them one at a time? I figure I could just do one at a time, with the brake on just turning to the next one when ready. Thanks for any input!!
J.F.

Victor VI

Re: Quick governor question

Post by 52089 »

If you're hearing a little wobble but not seeing an obvious reason, then instead of changing your governor weights, first thoroughly clean the governor disc and make sure it's completely straight. You'd be surprised t how often the problem is just a matter of the disc being gunked up.

And yes, wind the motor all the way down before doing anything like this. No sense having the motor explode because you accidentally released the brake.

EdisonWizard
Victor III

Re: Quick governor question

Post by EdisonWizard »

52089 wrote:If you're hearing a little wobble but not seeing an obvious reason, then instead of changing your governor weights, first thoroughly clean the governor disc and make sure it's completely straight. You'd be surprised t how often the problem is just a matter of the disc being gunked up.

And yes, wind the motor all the way down before doing anything like this. No sense having the motor explode because you accidentally released the brake.

True, I’ve recently oiled and cleaned it. It’s been sitting a few weeks since I’ve played it so it may be just gunked up again. I think I’ll oil and pad and disc, and try it out first before I go further!
J.F.