Victor Victrola VV-XI my new acquisition

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
SteveinAlaska
Victor Jr

Victor Victrola VV-XI my new acquisition

Post by SteveinAlaska »

As soon as I saw it for sale I went for it. Purchased the machine from the granddaughter of the family that bought it new in Portland Oregon in 1916. She moved to Alaska a number of years ago and brought it with her. Now she is retired and moving back to Oregon and no one in her immediate family wanted that "old thing" (as she put it) so it went up for sale. Found a slip of paper under the motor board where it had been serviced in 1946. Always kept clean and maintained by family.

Second part of the story is the boxes of Victor and Columbia 10 & 12 inch records (350 to be exact). Brought to Alaska by another family and again no one wanted to keep them. There is quite the story behind the family and their connection to Cleveland Ohio and conductor Fredrick Fennell. I will be working with the University music department on what is all in this collection. Earliest records dating to 1902.
Attachments
005.JPG
002 (600x800).jpg
003 (800x600).jpg

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Re: Victor Victrola VV-XI my new acquisition

Post by alang »

Nice machine that looks to be in great condition. Congratulations! You will have a lot of fun going through all these records.

Andreas

Steve Levi
Victor II

Post by Steve Levi »

Great score on Victrola! It has been well cared for during its life. An even greater score on the records. Enjoy! Thanks for sharing. Steve L

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

Wow look at all those records! You got a good deal!

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

SteveinAlaska wrote:Earliest records dating to 1902.
Are you going by patent dates on the records? They're not reliable indicators of when a record was pressed. There are many online resources to help you date your records more accurately.

SteveinAlaska
Victor Jr

Post by SteveinAlaska »

52089 wrote:
SteveinAlaska wrote:Earliest records dating to 1902.
Are you going by patent dates on the records? They're not reliable indicators of when a record was pressed. There are many online resources to help you date your records more accurately.
I use the Online Discographical project and Discography of American Historical Recordings (DAHR) and a lot of surfing the 'net 8-)

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

SteveinAlaska wrote:
Second part of the story is the boxes of Victor and Columbia 10 & 12 inch records (350 to be exact). Brought to Alaska by another family and again no one wanted to keep them. There is quite the story behind the family and their connection to Cleveland Ohio and conductor Fredrick Fennell. I will be working with the University music department on what is all in this collection. Earliest records dating to 1902.
Hope to see some photos of the most interesting discs in there...

Bill

miker2001
Victor II

Post by miker2001 »

Where was it serviced according to the slip?

SteveinAlaska
Victor Jr

Post by SteveinAlaska »

miker2001, it was just a slip of paper that was rather poor condition and handwritten with a date November 1946. Because the finish on the machine is so nice I kind of wonder if the cabinet was redone at that time.
On a further note in cataloging the records I find that I have 4 10-inch Columbia single sides that date from 1902 to 1905. I have been working with the Victor 12 inch single sides and they also date beginning around 1905.
Stay tuned for further developments!