Question about Victrola speed control

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
SteveinAlaska
Victor Jr

Question about Victrola speed control

Post by SteveinAlaska »

Just posted about my "new" 1916 Victrola VV-XI and am wondering about turntable speeds as we all know that the 78 rpm records that we play were not all recorded or meant to be played at 78 rpm. I have been experimenting with both very early Victor and Columbia records and am starting to sense to speed difference. I know that early Victors were meant to be played at about 71 to 76 rpm and early Columbias were played at 80 rpm. So, I guess the question is - is each of the marks on this speed control only 1 rpm difference slow or fast from the 78 marking on the plate??

The reason why I am posting this question is that I am set up to digitize my 78 rpm records and again, just experimenting at this point, I realize that I am coming away with some rather good recordings from this machine and they are easy to clean up for a good digital copy.
Thanks for the help.
Attachments
004 (800x600).jpg
001 (800x600).jpg

GregVTLA
Victor III
Personal Text: Greg

Re: Question about Victrola speed control

Post by GregVTLA »

That looks a lot earlier than 1918. Is it older than that possibly?

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

No, you can't assume that the markings mean a specific amount of rpm difference, nor can you assume that the "78" position on the dial is actually 78 anymore. You will almost certainly have to recalibrate the pointer if you care about it being accurate.

Your best bet is to go on ebay and search for digital non-contact tachometer. You can buy a tach for about $12 including shipping. Many of us have them and they work great. There are also apps you can download to your phone, but your phone has to have a gyroscopic sensor for those apps to work.

You can also download freeware to create strobe discs, but those only work for specific speeds. The tachometer is a broader solution.

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

You are digitizing the recordings, but is the reproducer rebuilt? That makes all the difference. The old Exhibition soundbox functions in its original condition but sounds worlds better when the back rubber flange, and diaphragm gaskets are replaced. That also preserves your records.