2018 is off to an interesting start

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
OrthoSean
Victor V

Re: 2018 is off to an interesting start

Post by OrthoSean »

Thank you, Abe. This is exactly what I was hoping to hear. This machine will be a very lengthy project I'm sure. I have never been one to rush through these things anyway. For now, it's protected, covered and going to dry out for a month or so. In the meantime, I'll start looking for some of the missing screws and a knob and a couple other little things it will need eventually. This weekend, I'll probably start cleaning the gold metal parts and just leave everything else. I will reach out to you once I've done the tests you suggested.

I will certainly keep everyone posted as work / progress is made. I'm looking forward to this, especially now that my flu seems to be going away. I spent an hour last night just sitting in a chair across from it looking at it like an idiot :lol:

Sean

HisMastersVoice
Auxetophone

Post by HisMastersVoice »

OrthoSean wrote:I spent an hour last night just sitting in a chair across from it looking at it like an idiot
But an idiot who owns a Vernis Martin! ;)

Mr Grumpy
Victor III

Post by Mr Grumpy »

Incredible Sean, congrats.

I think I've lost sleep staring at some of my machines at night, it's a disease that I'm glad we
all share.

Please keep us posted on the progress of this restoration, this is a rare oportunity for us to see pictures
and detail of a machine like this.
Vince
Youtube

tomb
Victor IV

Post by tomb »

Nice find good luck in the restore. Tom B

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

What a great machine... 2018 is definitely off to a good start. As previously mentioned, keep us informed of your restoration progress, it will be an interesting process...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

wjw
Victor II

Post by wjw »

Beautiful machine! And based on my favorite XVI iteration too.
Looking where the key escutcheon was, it looks like it was not a screwed-on brass piece but made to match the decor surrounding the doorknobs. Wood?
-bill

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

wjw wrote:Beautiful machine! And based on my favorite XVI iteration too.
Looking where the key escutcheon was, it looks like it was not a screwed-on brass piece but made to match the decor surrounding the doorknobs. Wood?
-bill
I've been discussing that with a couple of folks. Most VM XVIs have the same one an XVIII used, but this one obviously did not. There are no screw holes, so I'm thinking it was cast like the trim. I'm hoping I am able to come up with something for it, likely last!

Thanks again to everyone for tips and advice, both privately and publicly here. This hobby has some incredibly generous people and I'm very humbled by that.

Sean

Silvertone
Victor II

Post by Silvertone »

The escutcheon looks like a carving to me.
Attachments
VV-XVI VM escutcheon.jpg

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

If anyone with an original Vernis Martin would let you make silicone molds of the missing pieces, it wouldn't be to hard to cast them from resin...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

Curt A wrote:If anyone with an original Vernis Martin would let you make silicone molds of the missing pieces, it wouldn't be to hard to cast them from resin...
I'd say cast them from a material that can be made pliable with heat, so it can be made to fit