2018 is off to an interesting start

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
OrthoSean
Victor V

2018 is off to an interesting start

Post by OrthoSean »

Early Saturday morning a friend of mine sent me a photo of a machine he’d found and was it legit. I said it was and I’d gladly buy it if he was just hoping to make some fast cash. Three days of anxiety on my part while battling the flu and it showed up last night. This is only the third or so of these I’ve ever seen. Obviously this will need some attention, but I’m beyond excited to be able to add one of these to my small collection of “special” Victrolas. The cabinet had been in a somewhat humid or damp environment for some time since the doors were swollen shut. I was able to carefully get them open last night and I’m leaving it to dry out for a few days before I decide where to start. Sorry for the poor photos, but they’re the best I can do while this dries out in such a small and already crammed room.

The stuff is still out there.

Sean
Attachments
6A96C151-1F92-44E9-ABB3-C11D5D8A4B5C.jpeg
2288D466-EF39-4C2E-9FE2-1916695BE0DC.jpeg
C7827EDB-A359-4679-82C0-73B1884FC124.jpeg
C540E176-BB86-4F55-A0B1-BCCDFB53EA82.jpeg
2FBA1444-7B44-4209-BDB8-2C57600F269C.jpeg
0ED79546-1BBA-45BD-B23F-3A0622106D98.jpeg

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Re: 2018 is off to an interesting start

Post by Valecnik »

WOW! What a find. Congratulations. I've only seen a very few of these in many years of collecting.

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

Great start is right, Sean! That'll be difficult to improve upon in the coming year(s).

Best,
Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

Zwebie
Victor IV
Personal Text: We are only the caretakers for future generations.

Post by Zwebie »

Sean,

Great Haul! This is the first 1912 Vernis Martin VV-XVI I have seen, (just after the L-Door).
You might check with Jerry Blais for info, he had one beautifully restored.

Congratulations, Bob S.

EarlH
Victor III

Post by EarlH »

That's really cool! Good for you on the find.

I would probably cover it though and let it dry out really slowly is that's really got gesso over the cabinet that's under the paint. you don't want to pop any more of that off the thing than you have to. You can really get veneer and joints to open up in the winter when a piece of furniture has been somewhere damp and you bring it into the heat. Even after something has been refinished it's surprising to see how veneer joints will open up and move around.

Good luck with it. I almost bought a Vernis Martin Victrola 40 years ago and then the gal decided to give it to her daughter in Arizona. The one Vivian had wasn't all gold, but mahogany with scenes painted in the center of the panels. I don't remember the details anymore, but I thought it was really an interesting looking machine. The spring was broken in it and I got a machinist to rivet it back together. She bought it at an auction for $10 and mostly used it for a lamp table.

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

Thanks! I will take your advice and cover it later today. I don't want to touch anything until it's had time to dry out. For the time being, I'm going to try locating some missing screws a lower knob just clean the metal parts. I know it's certainly worth putting the effort into and taking my time. I still can't believe it's mine now, even if I basically haven't got room. The two jukeboxes behind it will be parting ways with me this Spring, though.

Anyone have any good suggestions for just a gentle solution for cleaning the gunk and grime off? I don't want this to be perfect, but some sort of cleaning will come later before I replicate missing trim and get that back in place.

I have no idea what the key escutcheon on one of these would have looked like, I expect that to be a tough part.

Still, I'm still very pleased to be able to own this and revive it.

Seam

TinfoilPhono
Victor IV

Post by TinfoilPhono »

Amazing find! It's reassuring to know they're still out there.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

Congratulations Sean! That's a machine with terrific potential and it will be spectacular. Jerry Blais

schweg
Victor III

Post by schweg »

Most excellent- I hope it’s the start of a great year! I just hope that 4-legged creature wasn’t in there when you got it opened?

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

To clean it I would cautiously recommend Vulpex liquid soap- it is strong so you use a small quantity diluted in water. If you are secure with using water I can get you a small quantity to use as a test. I've used it at my workplace to clean an oil painting.