2018 is off to an interesting start

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
OrthoSean
Victor V

Re: 2018 is off to an interesting start

Post by OrthoSean »

schweg wrote:Most excellent- I hope it’s the start of a great year! I just hope that 4-legged creature wasn’t in there when you got it opened?
Ha, no, Lucy has been a part of my madness for 13 years though. Being a hound, she has to sniff everything 50 times before she leaves it alone!

Sean

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

OrthoSean wrote:
schweg wrote:Most excellent- I hope it’s the start of a great year! I just hope that 4-legged creature wasn’t in there when you got it opened?
Ha, no, Lucy has been a part of my madness for 13 years though. Being a hound, she has to sniff everything 50 times before she leaves it alone!

Sean
Lucy seems to approve. :D

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

Hot damn! AWESOME find! :shock:

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

WOW - what an incredible find! Congratulations!

Andreas

need4art
Victor II
Personal Text: A man is not a man who does not make the world a better place

Post by need4art »

Just my 2 cents-After nearly 50 years in the art restoration field I would never use a water based product to clean an oil painting or a gold leafed item. In the case of your machine the odds are that the leaf is covered with shellac, or varnish. Water is not advised as it can impact both the shellac and the gesseo that it is laid down on. Both the gesso and the Bole-red clay are water based and water can soften both of them.Find a spot that is an over lap that is normally not visible and using a q tip and a bit of alcohol, just touch it in the pattern of a lane taking off-that is do not rub, and note the change. If nothing happens but it does pick up dirt, try it again. Alcohol will not affect the varnish. There is water in it however. If that seems to work go to Home depot, Loews etc and get the alcohol that is in the quart callen green alcohol. It has the lowest water content except for methanol alcohol which is tough to buy without going to a chemical supply company.

If that seems to go to far than it is a shellac finish. After years of making up my own stuff to clean these frames, a restoration supply company makes up a very good non water based cleaner that is expensive but works very well. The other problem is that you have painting in place as well. They make this cleaner up in a number of strengths and I would recommend the weakness solution first.

Make sure that the unit is in a temperature controlled environment, and make sure it drys out slowly. I have seen the leaf separate from the gesso and the gesso separate from the wood if things move too quick.

Go slow nad pm me if you need any supplies

Abe

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

need4art wrote:Just my 2 cents-After nearly 50 years in the art restoration field I would never use a water based product to clean an oil painting or a gold leafed item.
I know what you mean, in my case it was an oil on board (masonite or similar) Ca. 1914. I did it only after research.

(EDIT) Vulpex can be mixed with white spirits, but I would be more concerned with the solvent property of that than water.
Last edited by estott on Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Phono-Phan
Victor V

Post by Phono-Phan »

Fantastic find!!! Congrats!!!! :D

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Wow! :o

Who would ever expect one of these to emerge from the wild? Congratulations!

George P.

GregVTLA
Victor III
Personal Text: Greg

Post by GregVTLA »

That is SPECTACULAR! I can only dream of logging in to craigslist and finding one of these, or better yet at an antique store for $100. Congrats and I'd love to see it when it's done!

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

I "need" one of those for my library!
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek