Specs and limits of certain machines

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
OrthoFan
Victor V

Re: Specs and limits of certain machines

Post by OrthoFan »

AlastairMorley wrote:... The only record I've been testing this machine with is a Decca Personality Series 78 featuring Lee Dixon with the Oklahoma Male Chorus and Orchestra under the direction of Jay Blackton. ..
That's very possible. That was recorded in 1943, after the famous musicians strike was settled -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1942%E2%8 ... %27_strike -- and was one of the first records/album sets released to the public, after the lull. It was available in 78 format for years--well into the 1950s, and eventually was released in LP format,45s, cassette, CD, and for download. The pressing you have might date from the post-WWII period.

OrthoFan

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

52089 wrote:If you have a diamond point stylus you can theoretically play Edison Diamond Discs. However, I have yet to find one of they styli that didn't mark the records, so I don't recommend using them.
Have you ever looked into the Bruce styli that debuted a couple of years ago?

Bill

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

Lucius1958 wrote:
52089 wrote:If you have a diamond point stylus you can theoretically play Edison Diamond Discs. However, I have yet to find one of they styli that didn't mark the records, so I don't recommend using them.
Have you ever looked into the Bruce styli that debuted a couple of years ago?

Bill
I'm only aware of these being available pre-mounted in a Diamond Disc stylus bar.

I suppose Bruce could be commissioned to make diamonds for a shank, but I would think it would be cost prohibitive given the very low demand for these.