Concert Record Cabinet

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
cleveland1996
Victor III

Concert Record Cabinet

Post by cleveland1996 »

Hi Folks,

I am sure that someone in the day made a record cabinet that held concert records. Does anyone have one to share or have any info about any that may have been produced? Herzog?

Just curious. I would like to have one for my concert if anyone has one in the back of their shop..

Thanks
Joe

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Re: Concert Record Cabinet

Post by phonogfp »

Old Lady George here, to remind everyone that "Concert" was a trade name used by Edison for its five-inch cylinders. Columbia used the term "Grand." The genre is five-inch (or 5") cylinders. Now don't make me stand you in the corner! :)

Hawthorne & Sheble offered a few types of cabinets equipped with pegs for five-inch cylinders. As may be expected, finding cabinets originally set up for these is difficult. By the time Herzog, Salter, and other mainline furniture companies began making record cabinets, the five-inch format was obsolete and not being pushed by the record companies.

George P.

cleveland1996
Victor III

Post by cleveland1996 »

Please forgive me Old Lady George......I will try to think a little more next time...LOL

Thank you for the information...I want to think that I have seen an example in the past but I haven’t been able to find it. A forum member has already contacted me with some help...

Good thing about being with other collectors...no one can know every detail about everything...it’s great to have a pool of knowledgeable people to help as questions arise...

Thanks everyone

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

Thanks for the reminder George. If we didn't have gentle reminders we would be referring to ourselves as "victrola collectors." Jerry Blais

HisMastersVoice
Auxetophone

Post by HisMastersVoice »

Jerry B. wrote:Thanks for the reminder George. If we didn't have gentle reminders we would be referring to ourselves as "victrola collectors." Jerry Blais
Although some of us actually are Victrola collectors!

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

HisMastersVoice wrote:
Jerry B. wrote:Thanks for the reminder George. If we didn't have gentle reminders we would be referring to ourselves as "victrola collectors." Jerry Blais
...Yet some of these Victrola collectors still call their machines "a Victor XVI" or "a Victor IX." Oh what a world, what a world, what a world... :)

Old Lady George

emerson
Victor III

Post by emerson »

Since my observance on The Forum, it appears the "Old Lady" thinks he knows just about everything----I think he's right----an unbelievable wealth of knowledge shared by himself and quite a few other Good People, just my observance.

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

emerson wrote:Since my observance on The Forum, it appears the "Old Lady" thinks he knows just about everything----I think he's right----an unbelievable wealth of knowledge shared by himself and quite a few other Good People, just my observance.
Yeah, but that doesn't mean the Old Lady is above hazing, does it? If so, I'm taking my Edison Graphophone Victrola with the dog on it and going home!! :P
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

HisMastersVoice
Auxetophone

Post by HisMastersVoice »

phonogfp wrote:
HisMastersVoice wrote:
...Yet some of these Victrola collectors still call their machines "a Victor XVI" or "a Victor IX." Oh what a world, what a world, what a world... :)

Old Lady George
My personal pet peeve is "Victrola Ex-Vee-I". I can aaaaaaalways tell when someone types "I have an XVI" which equates to "I have an sixteen".

Now look what you did - this is about 5" cylinder cabinets. Back to it!

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special

Post by phonogfp »

emerson wrote:Since my observance on The Forum, it appears the "Old Lady" thinks he knows just about everything----I think he's right----an unbelievable wealth of knowledge shared by himself and quite a few other Good People, just my observance.
Well, Mr. Emerson, you're very kind...except that part where I think I know everything... :monkey: I'm just a student like the rest of us. Perhaps a bit more obsessive than most... :lol:
gramophone-georg wrote: Yeah, but that doesn't mean the Old Lady is above hazing, does it? If so, I'm taking my Edison Graphophone Victrola with the dog on it and going home!! :P
Haze away...!
Oldlady.jpg
Oldlady.jpg (9.64 KiB) Viewed 1303 times
George P.