Which small machines have decent sound?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
larryh
Victor IV

Re: Which small machines have decent sound?

Post by larryh »

Thanks for the suggestions so far, it will give me something to research to see what exactly they all are. I have a friend that has a Aeolian table model which is quite severe looking but puts out some pretty decent sound and does not take up much space, its a thought as well. I like those British machines shown but have a feeling they would be quite difficult to find at a cost that is somewhat reasonable. These thoughts will give me something to perhaps shop for at Union which I plan to attend for the first time in many years. Steve Medved plans to come so we can all meet including hopefully Nick and Mike who are also involved in providing Edison diaphragms of quality sound.

Larry

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

If you are looking for a low cost machine without lid I would also recommend the VV-VI. If you hate dusting then a VV-IX provides the same sound, but offers a lid to keep the dust out. Both machines can be found for reasonable cost in the US, because large numbers were produced. They both have double spring motors that are rock solid performers. While I love the looks of my VV-50, it is not ideal as a daily player, because of its single spring motor. Winding for every side gets old pretty quickly. The later portables all work and sound well, but I would still prefer a more substantial tabletop machine as a daily player. Later orthophonic tabletops like the VV-1-70/1-90 or the forementioned HMV models all probably perform better for electrical recordings, but they are not as plentiful and therefore more expensive in the US.

Good luck with your search!
Andreas

Victrolacollector
Victor V

Post by Victrolacollector »

A VV 1-70 is a nice machine that will perform well for both acoustic and electric records. I actually have a spare one that I will be listing soon in the Yankee Trader section. They also have a good size motor, that is quieter than some of the early machines., they have Art Deco looks and the No. 4A does a good job on both types of records.