Which small machines have decent sound?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
larryh
Victor IV

Which small machines have decent sound?

Post by larryh »

I am cutting back on the amounts of records from the earlier acoustic period but don't quite want to not still play some. My large Brunswick is actually overwhelming in the small living room I have. Some time back I found a rather odd tiny Sonora from 1910 I believe the ad that showed it was from. The little horn opening is only about six inches across and five or so high in an oval shape. You can listen to it with Caruso and not have your ears buzzing or overwhelmed by the volume. I find that appealing. The tiny crude wooden horn is so basic its almost laughable. I wouldn't want an outside horn machine, takes up too much room visually. I am curious if some of you have a favorite for good sound in a table model smaller machine? Some portables seem to also provide rather airy and good sound, but they can also be pretty loud in a enclosed space. Any thoughts on what you might suggest?

Larry

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Re: Which small machines have decent sound?

Post by estott »

The VV-IV is good sounding and very reliable. If you can get one I'd recommend the HMV 109 - similar to the Victor in size but it handles electric recordings a bit better.

In American portables, to my experience the VV 2-35 is great, combining fine sound with compact size. The UK counterpart is the HMV 102 which is even better, though the 101 is not to be slighted

bigshot
Victor II

Post by bigshot »

I use my VV-2-65 suitcase phono for that sort of thing. It's portable and it plays just about any kind of record well.

EdiBrunsVic
Victor IV

Post by EdiBrunsVic »

The VV 2-55 also has a good sound.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

Many British collectors, myself included, rate the HMV Model 130 the best table gramophone ever made. It has the No.5a soundbox, the No.32 double spring motor and a horn of exponential shape. Not easy to find in the USA but well worth seeking out.
Attachments
130.jpg

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

larryh wrote:I am cutting back on the amounts of records from the earlier acoustic period but don't quite want to not still play some... Larry
For acoustical recordings, small, compact, but decent horn? I'd recommend a VV-VI, later production with the floating horn--Serial 54501 and beyond.

Similar size Columbia table-tops are also worth considering.

OrthoFan

brianu
Victor V
Personal Text: on instagram as "oncedeadsound"

Post by brianu »

epigramophone wrote:Many British collectors, myself included, rate the HMV Model 130 the best table gramophone ever made. It has the No.5a soundbox, the No.32 double spring motor and a horn of exponential shape. Not easy to find in the USA but well worth seeking out.

is there much difference between the 130 and the 150? is it just size?

outune
Victor IV

Post by outune »

Epigramophone is right on-- The 130 was my very first phonograph -- purchased in 1976 in Arlington, VA. It has incredible sound. The 5A reproducer is loud and clear. I don't play it as much as I used to as it has taken a backseat to my outside horn machines, but it is really a great machine and not too bad to move around if needed.

Brad Abell

tomb
Victor IV

Post by tomb »

A nice VV-50 in oak would be a solid machine if the reproducer is rebuilt. It looks nice and sounds well. Not as good as bigger machines Tom

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

brianu wrote:
epigramophone wrote:Many British collectors, myself included, rate the HMV Model 130 the best table gramophone ever made. It has the No.5a soundbox, the No.32 double spring motor and a horn of exponential shape. Not easy to find in the USA but well worth seeking out.

is there much difference between the 130 and the 150? is it just size?
The 130 and 150 are identical in size. The main differences are a more rounded case and a different turntable brake. Most 150's seem to have been exported, probably to the outposts of the British Empire, making them rarer in the UK than the 130. The 150 looks like this :
Attachments
hmv-150.jpg
hmv-150.jpg (24.59 KiB) Viewed 1244 times