O/T - 'sawmill scene'

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
JohnM
Victor V

O/T - 'sawmill scene'

Post by JohnM »

Although this doesn't have anything to do with phonographs specifically, I thought you might enjoy seeing this detail from an old poster for a play called 'Blue Jeans' that is on display at a local museum. Most of us remember 'Snidely Whiplash' on Rocky & Bullwinkle, and the archetype for that sort of villain and the accompanying villainy -- tying the heroine to the railroad tracks or running her or our hero through the sawmill -- was found in numerous novels, plays, and films of the era. I suppose to tie this in with phonos, I would point to the song 'Poor Pauline' which I have on Victor bat-wing and Little Wonder -- that is about The Perils of Pauline, a popular serial movie of the day that starred Pearl White who narrowly escaped many such dastardly deeds. Enjoy the image!
Sawmill crp.jpg
Sawmill crp.jpg (102.8 KiB) Viewed 1271 times
"All of us have a place in history. Mine is clouds." Richard Brautigan

schweg
Victor III

Re: O/T - 'sawmill scene'

Post by schweg »

Deep in the recesses of my juvenile brain, that's pretty much all that has survived, I remember that Rocky and Bullwinkle's villans were Boris and Natasha. You are thinking of Mr. Whiplash who made his claim to fame on Dudley Dooright of the RCMP. The heroine on that show was Nell and she was regularly tied to a nearby railroad track.

Now if I could only remember where I left my car at the mall it'd all be good.

Steve (also a SpongeBob fan, but that's even further off topic although he does have a great outside horn gramophone).

JohnM
Victor V

Post by JohnM »

Curses, Schweg! You are right! It was Dudley Dooright! At any rate, long live Jay Ward!

martinola
Victor III

Post by martinola »

Interesting this came up just now. I just finished doing a melodrama where we used a "high tech" saw. :D

[youtubehq]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtiM2gPFZ9E[/youtubehq]

(In this scene, my wife is about to get the chop.)

JohnM
Victor V

Post by JohnM »

These scenes were actually filmed inside the notorious cabinet factory 'No. 18'! ;) :lol: