How about a discussion on 10" cone horns?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

How about a discussion on 10" cone horns?

Post by Jerry B. »

I would appreciate a discussion on the identification of 10" cone horns. Is there a difference between Columbias and Edisons? Are both crimped and soldered small ends correct? Is the length of the crimped end significant? Is there an easy way to differentiate between original and reproduction? Thanks for your comments.

Thanks, Jerry Blais

(I did use the "search" feature but didn't find much. Maybe I need a lesson! :shock: )

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Re: How about a discussion on 10" cone horns?

Post by phonogfp »

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Jerry B. »

Great topic! Thanks George for your reply. I always had believed only the reproduction cone horns had soldered small ends. I learned something today. Jerry Blais
How embarrassing, I even replied! Jerry Blais

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Jerry B. »

What is the best way to use the search feature on the Forum? Jerry

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

Jerry B. wrote:What is the best way to use the search feature on the Forum? Jerry
The forum search feature doesn't like "little" words (up to 3 characters) so it ignores them. The best way to search the forum is actually to use google or other search engine. The syntax looks like this:

site:forum.talkingmachine.info 10 inch cone horn

If you search like that, all the posts with those last 4 words in them anywhere will come up. If you want to search for an exact phrase, put it in quotes:

site:forum.talkingmachine.info "10 inch cone horn"

Polyphone
Victor II
Personal Text: There is a fine line between clever and stupid

Post by Polyphone »

Hey folks, here is another variation of the 10" conical horn with an extended soldered tube.

Best, Ken
Attachments
IMG_5325.JPG
IMG_5326.JPG

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

Jerry, You were the one to show me how to use the Forum features when I first started out. I asked you how to search for things and you told me to type in the keywords and the topic would show up. I've been doing that ever since. Good luck with the search.
Harvey Kravitz
52089 wrote:
Jerry B. wrote:What is the best way to use the search feature on the Forum? Jerry
The forum search feature doesn't like "little" words (up to 3 characters) so it ignores them. The best way to search the forum is actually to use google or other search engine. The syntax looks like this:

site:forum.talkingmachine.info 10 inch cone horn

If you search like that, all the posts with those last 4 words in them anywhere will come up. If you want to search for an exact phrase, put it in quotes:

site:forum.talkingmachine.info "10 inch cone horn"

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

I was going through my Columbia machines and have the AQ model. The end of this horn has the crimped end, not the soldered tube. Is the the exception to the rule? That's the same as my AQ Harvard Jr. Also with the crimped end on the B & B horn.
Harvey Kravitz

ehs004
Victor III

Post by ehs004 »

After talking to Jerry this morning about 10" cone or conical horns as they are being referred
to i thought i would share a few more pictures of original small horns .Thanks for the call Jerry !! I would like to add that i bought a Model B Gem with the horn it was sold with from a granddaughter of the original owner and it was seamed and i bought a Model B Eagle from the same and it came with the soldered nipple pictured in middle
Eric
Attachments
10 inch horns (1).JPG