Age of Edison Standard model A?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Age of Edison Standard model A?

Post by AmberolaAndy »

Well, I bought another machine this month. (Woo hoo!) An Edison standard model A! And it works great! But now, I'm wondering what year it was made? The serial number is #87708. I think it was made sometime in 1903. But to be totally sure I'd thought I'd ask the fine folks here. :) Thanks!

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Re: Age of Edison Standard model A?

Post by Phonofreak »

Does the carriage have a shaver assembly? Does the carriage have a lift lever or the push-pull button? If your machine has both these features, it is 1903 or earlier. If there is no shaver and has the push-pull button, then your machine is 1904-05.
Harvey Kravitz

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

According to original Edison sales data, Standard No.87708 left the factory about March 1903.

George P.

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

phonogfp wrote:According to original Edison sales data, Standard No.87708 left the factory about March 1903.

George P.
Whoa! :shock: 115 years old and it still works! And yes, it has a lift lever and a place in the back of the carriage where a shaver would have screwed in, but the shaver and screw is long gone.