Reproducer doesn't make contact at end of cyllinder

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
GregVTLA
Victor III
Personal Text: Greg

Reproducer doesn't make contact at end of cyllinder

Post by GregVTLA »

I've got myself an Edison Home, and so far it seems to working ok after a bit of work, the carriage is propelled at an even speed. The only issue is, the reproducer doesn't touch the end of the cylinder. It plays fine at the beginning, but in the last ¼ or so it only touches intermittently, then not at all. Tightening the end pin isn't enough to help the issue, and that causes too much drag to play. This particular machine also has the 2/4 minute gearing if that helps. I'm at a loss, any ideas?

victorthesixth
Victor I

Re: Reproducer doesn't make contact at end of cyllinder

Post by victorthesixth »

Try another cylinder to make sure it isn't the cylinder.

GregVTLA
Victor III

Post by GregVTLA »

I only have 2 cylinders and both do it so I don't think it's that.

outune
Victor IV

Post by outune »

Three thoughts- 1)- Make sure reproducer is fully seated in carriage 2) Half-nut bar may be engaging the feedscrew "too soon", meaning it doesn't allow the carriage to lower far enough. The lift edge of the carriage should be almost touching the front edge of the casting when the carriage is lowered 3) Reproducer- The link between the diaphragm and the needle bar may be too long, not allowing the bar to swivel down far enough.
Just a few "maybe's"

Brad Abell

EdisonWizard
Victor III

Post by EdisonWizard »

Is the reproducer weight dropping low enough? Can you measure it somehow and let me know? I’ll measure one of mine and we can compare
J.F.

EdisonWizard
Victor III

Post by EdisonWizard »

outune wrote:Three thoughts- 1)- Make sure reproducer is fully seated in carriage 2) Half-nut bar may be engaging the feedscrew "too soon", meaning it doesn't allow the carriage to lower far enough. The lift edge of the carriage should be almost touching the front edge of the casting when the carriage is lowered 3) Reproducer- The link between the diaphragm and the needle bar may be too long, not allowing the bar to swivel down far enough.
Just a few "maybe's"

Brad Abell

+1 to that as well!
J.F.

GregVTLA
Victor III

Post by GregVTLA »

outune wrote:2) Half-nut bar may be engaging the feedscrew "too soon", meaning it doesn't allow the carriage to lower far enough. The lift edge of the carriage should be almost touching the front edge of the casting when the carriage is lowered
How would I adjust this? The half nut is the thread that engages the feed screw correct? This almost sounds like it could be it.
EdisonWizard wrote:Is the reproducer weight dropping low enough? Can you measure it somehow and let me know? I’ll measure one of mine and we can compare
So I didn't have anything with fine enough measurement to be able to measure this, but then I remembered that a single dime is about 1mm. The gap between the weight and body of the reproducer is approx 1.8mm, since it's a little smaller than the height of two dimes. If this were the issue, how does one rebuild or fix one of these? I've attached a picture as well if that helps.

Sorry if I seem clueless, this is my first Edison after a handful of Victor machines. They're very different as I'm quickly finding out.

Greg
Attachments
IMG_2005[548].jpg

outune
Victor IV

Post by outune »

The adjustment of the half-nut bar depends on the model of the machine-- Later machines have a nickel plated piece-- a hood-- over the spring-steel half-nut bar. A set screw through that piece engages the bar. By turning it one way or the other, you can manipulate the pressure the half-nut is exerting on the feedscrew... and thus the height of the carriage in relationship to the cylinder. The half-nut should just barely engage the feedscrew--just enough to fully engage the threads and allow travel.
Earlier machines do not have that hood. Adjustment of the bar is accomplished by CAREFULLLY flexing the spring steel bar. It doesn't take much movement to effect a change. Be careful as these bars can snap if bent too much (but new ones are always available from Ron Sitko)

Re: the weight question-- The weight is seldom an issue-- the limit loop (shown in you picture with the pin from the weight inside) limits the amount of travel of the weight. IF that pin is bent, then it may be the issue, but it looks straight in your pic. If adjusting the half-nut doesn't work, more than likely it is the length of the link from the needle bar to the diaphragm.

Hope you get it running right-- I love working on the Edisons!

Brad Abell

GregVTLA
Victor III

Post by GregVTLA »

Thanks so much, that’s solved my slowdown problem! Now, however, it seems the mandrel pin is worn down, which seems to cause it to sag. How could I repair this?

tomb
Victor IV

Post by tomb »

outune wrote:Three thoughts- 1)- Make sure reproducer is fully seated in carriage 2) Half-nut bar may be engaging the feedscrew "too soon", meaning it doesn't allow the carriage to lower far enough. The lift edge of the carriage should be almost touching the front edge of the casting when the carriage is lowered 3) Reproducer- The link between the diaphragm and the needle bar may be too long, not allowing the bar to swivel down far enough.
Just a few "maybe's"

Brad Abell
You/ might also check the end play in the mandrel. If there is too much play it may be dropping the mandrel down a little. Move the mandrel back and forth or up and down with the end gate in place. If there is too much play adjust that end bearing a little that is the one in the end gate. The mandrel with the end gate engaged should only move a little. Tom