Featured Phonograph № 133 - Edison B275 Sheraton Plain Inlay

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Re: Featured Phonograph № 133 - Edison B275 Sheraton Plain I

Post by phonogfp »

OrthoSean wrote: Interesting to compare the small differences between this and my A-275, which has a higher serial number. I think it was George P. who mentioned they were interspersed with the A-250s.
Hmmm... I don't think it was me. I'd be a bit surprised if the A-250 and A-275 used the same serial block.

George P.

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

You're right! But you did comment on the machine's serial number when I had first gotten it home. Goodness, the photos in this old thread are horrible!

http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... 275#p81746

Sean

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Oh - - now I remember that discussion! And Bruce's serial numbers strongly suggested that the numbers of the upper end machines (A250s, 275s, 290s, and above) were intermixed, but reset with the B-series machines. This seems odd to me, but the numbers don't lie.

George P.

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

phonogfp wrote:Oh - - now I remember that discussion! And Bruce's serial numbers strongly suggested that the numbers of the upper end machines (A250s, 275s, 290s, and above) were intermixed, but reset with the B-series machines. This seems odd to me, but the numbers don't lie.

George P.
Yes, I recall that too. I have A-290 no. 6261 and know of no. 2575. Have A-275 no. 10982. Sean M has 10981. I have A-300 no. 2503 and have recorded SN's for the 300 including 2048, 2508 & 2536. I've recorded 250 SN's from 161 to 14444. Some other trivia, the cabinet of the A-290 is slightly smaller than that of the A&B 275.

Okay I admit it. I keep track of this stuff, lead a boring life. Just say it! :)

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special

Post by phonogfp »

Valecnik wrote:
Yes, I recall that too. I have A-290 no. 6261 and know of no. 2575. Have A-275 no. 10982. Sean M has 10981. I have A-300 no. 2503 and have recorded SN's for the 300 including 2048, 2508 & 2536. I've recorded 250 SN's from 161 to 14444. Some other trivia, the cabinet of the A-290 is slightly smaller than that of the A&B 275.

Okay I admit it. I keep track of this stuff, lead a boring life. Just say it! :)
Sounds exciting to me! :lol:

Those numbers make it pretty clear that the A-series machines higher than the A-250 were numbered within the A-250 serial block. That changed with the appearance of the B-series. Now, if I can just remember this...! ;)

George P.

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

Goodness, the photos in this old thread are horrible!
Well, to me, those photographs are gorgeous! you really have some nice machines there!!! Marc.

On the Sheraton cabinet, is that what you call bleached or blonde mahogany?

gregks
Victor Jr

Post by gregks »

I do not know what the correct term is for this finish. It is definitely more of a orange/red hue than the brown mahogany finish.

EarlH
Victor III

Post by EarlH »

Those machine are really a smart looking machine. I think in the literature Edison said they were red mahogany. The one I have is pretty faded as well. With that inlay they usually sealed the inlay with shellac before it was set in place, so you could stain the cabinet after it was all worked up and not change the color of the inlay. And fill the grain also. So they probably used an oil based stain and it's faded is all. They had a hard time with some of the colors in those days, and red was really problematic and will fade towards brown. I am NOT looking forward to having to re-stain the one I have as it will be a lot of work to mask all that inlay off to keep it from getting spoiled.

Your Edison is really in nice shape too, and it's a shame that cabinet wasn't more popular. Maybe it was just too expensive to make and leave much of a profit margin. I'm glad you got it bought, so it will get taken care of. Those Edison machines are pretty tough. I can't get over how many records I've played on my C-19 since I got it in 1972 and that thing just keeps on going!