Found in a Gramophone - a treasure map !!

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Gramtastic
Victor III

Found in a Gramophone - a treasure map !!

Post by Gramtastic »

I know there is a thread somewhere re things found in machines but ironically I can't find it . I have never been able to contribute to it as I have never found anything except old needles and dead spiders .... until today. I took the motor board out of an HMV 101 moc croc portable and under the motor was a piece of newspaper from April 28th 1944 and a treasure map ! The picture isn't all that clear as it is written in pencil but at the top you can see X marks the spot 4 paces north and one to the West ! I will leave it to your imagination as to what it was and if it is still there in some English suburban back garden ......
Attachments
IMG_3460.JPG
IMG_3467.JPG

dutchman
Victor IV

Re: Found in a Gramophone - a treasure map !!

Post by dutchman »

Its got to be Oak Island :D

Bill K

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

Cool! Friends gave me some Treasure Magazines with great stories. Let's get a metal detector and find that treasure. I'm in!

Jerry B.

MikeB
Victor II

Post by MikeB »

The newspaper is obviously part of it. The body of Colonel Blimp lies just beyond the bird table, man, JUST BEYOND THE BIRD TABLE!!!

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

My guess is that this is a map that shows where a cache of supplies are. This was during WWII, and there was always a fear of an invasion by Germany. I really think this was a hidden cache, so supplies won't fall into enemy hands. Just my observation.
Harvey Kravitz

EdisonWizard
Victor III

Post by EdisonWizard »

Or a jar of money!
J.F.

emerson
Victor III

Post by emerson »

Maybe you were meant to find it. Best of Luck

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

What does it say on the back side? The important thing missing from the equation is the address of the house...

It's probably a cache of phonograph needles that would have been in short supply during WWII. :roll: :lol:
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

Whatever the "treasure" may have been, it was probably buried by the owners of the house, who drew the map to remind themselves where to dig when the war was over. A sensible plan, provided that they remembered where they had hidden the map. The fact that the map remained in the gramophone until now suggests that something went wrong with the plan.

bigshot
Victor II

Post by bigshot »

I remember an episode of Dragnet where they thought a fella had contraband, but they searched his apartment and couldn't find it. Jack Webb walks in and goes straight up to an antique radio and points at it and says, "It's in here." They open it up and all the jewels or whatever are inside. When I was a kid, I saw that episode and went straight to my hippie brother's bedroom and opened up his Edison Home Phonograph. Sure enough! His stash of weed was in there. Jack Webb was a genius!