Interesting styled Edison Ad from 1900

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Roaring20s
Victor V
Personal Text: Those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who could not hear the music. Nietzsche

Interesting styled Edison Ad from 1900

Post by Roaring20s »

This ad is from The Roycrofters publication, The Philistine.

It is a phonograph out of its time. Very romantic.
NPC 1900.png
James

Jwb88
Victor II

Re: Interesting styled Edison Ad from 1900

Post by Jwb88 »

I love it! Odd and beautiful. A hint at the peiod cabinets to come? Lol. I'd like this enlarged as a print. Nice coloring.

JohnM
Victor V

Post by JohnM »

It has long been a puzzlement to me why Elbert Hubbard never made any commercial recordings of his own voice.
"All of us have a place in history. Mine is clouds." Richard Brautigan

larryh
Victor IV

Post by larryh »

Elbert Hubbard died in 1915 on board the Lusitania which was sunk around world war I. I have long liked his books, they have a very wonderful period styling. If you don't have one get his "Elbert Hubbard Scrap Book" which was produced after his death. Its a wonderful collection of writings that Hubbard found inspirational. Lots of them on ebay and usually can be rather cheap. Comes in a number of styles from cardboard binders to full hard back books and leather covers. I have given a lot of them as gifts over the years. His series on Composers is also of interest to those who enjoy the history of musicians.

Larry

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

JohnM wrote:It has long been a puzzlement to me why Elbert Hubbard never made any commercial recordings of his own voice.
True- considering he probably loved the sound of it.

If there had been any surviving dictation cylinders they probably got lost as the business shrank - and possibly his son Bert recorded over them.

In the 1900's their music department was supervised by Forrest Cheney

drh
Victor IV
Personal Text: A Pathé record...with care will live to speak to your grandchildren when they are as old as you are

Post by drh »

Probably everybody here already knows, but in case not--Roycroft eventually had its own record label. I have two sets of the things, one pretty badly warped. If memory serves, Cameo did the pressings; in all events, for all the Roycroft philosophy of handcrafted premium quality, they have rather gritty surfaces. The music is all of the Ye Olde Englysshe Madrigale persuasion, sung by a group called The English Singers.

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

drh wrote:Probably everybody here already knows, but in case not--Roycroft eventually had its own record label. I have two sets of the things, one pretty badly warped. If memory serves, Cameo did the pressings; in all events, for all the Roycroft philosophy of handcrafted premium quality, they have rather gritty surfaces. The music is all of the Ye Olde Englysshe Madrigale persuasion, sung by a group called The English Singers.
By that time Roycroft was in financial troubles and Bert Hubbard was making changes in an effort to stay afloat and keep the staff employed- mostly through being a vanity press. The colony went Bankrupt in 1938, though vestiges of it lasted a while.

chikukai
Victor Jr

Post by chikukai »

Roaring20s wrote:This ad is from The Roycrofters publication, The Philistine.

It is a phonograph out of its time. Very romantic.
NPC 1900.png
James
Do you know what month's issue this was from ?

Roaring20s
Victor V
Personal Text: Those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who could not hear the music. Nietzsche

Post by Roaring20s »

Sorry, but I did not make a note of that when I came across it. :oops:
All I can remember is that it was one of the first few pages, and less certain... in the April thru August range.

James.