New old stock Tungstone needles just arrived

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
burke
Victor I

New old stock Tungstone needles just arrived

Post by burke »

Hello all,

I purchased a partial package of Tungstone needles [five from a package of eight]on ebay. They were billed as new old stock, but on taking them out they look a bit used to my eye.

However I have zero experience with these and perhaps what I am seeing is normal, so before I contact the seller I wanted to get opinions from experienced users of these.

Apologies for the pics, but best I could do. One taken with a regular digital camera and a second with a cheap digital microscope [fuzzy and a bit pixelated].

Thanks,
Tungstone 1.jpg
Tungstone 1.jpg (63.57 KiB) Viewed 835 times
Tungstone 2.jpg
Tungstone 2.jpg (61.89 KiB) Viewed 835 times

PeterF
Victor IV

Re: New old stock Tungstone needles just arrived

Post by PeterF »

The length of the protruding wire tells you the amount of use - these look plenty long. The other material has uneven coloring but that has nothing to do with function or remaining usable life.

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

PeterF wrote:The length of the protruding wire tells you the amount of use - these look plenty long. The other material has uneven coloring but that has nothing to do with function or remaining usable life.
Right- Visually, these needles don't age all that well but that doesn't affect performance. All protruding wire seems the same length too. In the second pic the top needle looks like it *might* have play wear but that could just be the photo.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

burke
Victor I

Post by burke »

Thank you both for those replies and information.

Glad I asked.

Didn't want to annoy a seller with a question about merchandise based in pure ignorance :)

Darrell